Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying my son with an air rifle to get him started. Just started looking at RWS, Gamo, Beemen, etc. I want to go with a scoped model. I know they all have their advantages/disadvantages with their cocking mechanisms, etc., etc. Basically this will be for target shooting and maybe some occasion plinking. What’s everyone’s experience with any of them. Would you go with .22 caliber or .177 caliber? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had a Benjamin Sheridan, they run around 100 bucks, 22 caliber and .177 cal. the 22 will kill squirells easily and is very accurate, This is a nice gun and not to expensive, I think it it around 650 fps for the 22 caliber, if you want something faster look at the ones at Bass pro or Dicks sporting goods, for the money B. Sheridans are pretty nice. The RWS guns are very nice also but cost as much as a 22 rifle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have an rws that is 1100'ps+++++ ......mounted a nice air scope on it and it is deadly to 40+ yrds on squirrels, birds and rabbit.... the kids love it......I know it is very accurate to almost 90 yrds but the power down range is lacking for squirrels etc.. for an air gun, its awesome, and I'm sure the newer ones are better than what I have..... just get the best scope you can spend for.... when I got this one the kits had the cheap scopes and they are not worth anyhting..good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Had a Sherridan .22 a few years ago, loved it. somehow it was lost/stolen?? I bought a Gamo .177, shoots 1000FPS. I've whacked all kinds of varmits from rats to possums out to about 40yds and one ferral cat :) Good gun, break barrel, fiber optic sights, put a scope on it though[grin] about $130

·
Registered
702 Posts
Depending on what you want to spend. I have a Beeman R1, in .177 that's as accurate as any good quality .22. The R1 is expensive, but will last a lifetime. Maybe hard to cock for a kid though, this one has some power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.