Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys, I recently got an email referring to some people passing bogus US money orders and/or cashiers checks. I usually don't pay a lot of attention to these because a lot of them are bogus, themselves. Here is the low down on a new SCAM and it is originating in the UK (England). They are targeting the charter fishing business now too. How do I know it is true? Because they are trying to work it on me RIGHT NOW!!!! Here's how it goes.

You receive an email requesting a charter date/dates for their holiday, in my case 2 days, and do you take cashiers checks or money order drafted from a US bank. SAVE these emails to your PC. Then they call and ask if you have received their check or money order yet, as in my case today. Only difference is they call via a free Internet service and not by normal telephone. No trails! Fortunately, I haven't received this deposit yet. Luckily I was tipped off by a legitimate concern that I was being conned and DO NOT deposit this money order. I was informed that this known "scammer" upon verification of receipt of the money order will cancel the trip a short time thereafter and request a refund. When and if you send their money back to them you will learn about 2-3 weeks later that the money order was fraudulent and those funds have been deducted from your bank account. YOU HAVE BEEN DUPED!

I called my daughter who is a Miami-Dade Police officer and asked her what to do. My wife, my daughter and I came up with these solutions. #1. DO NOT deposit. #2. Take the money order to the bank for validation. #3. Keep records of all communications and turn the bogus check or money order over to your local Police Dept. with records and file a report. #4. Tell them all deposits are non-refundable but because they have been so nice you will gladly send back the original money order since you haven't cashed it.

I'm so glad I was alerted to this and I in turn will pass on the favor to all of you. I hope you will pass it on to your other guide or captain buddies who might not see this post.

Viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and money bilking scams, isn't the Internet just wonderful?

Capt. Jim
The BEAST

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Hey Capt Jim
How did they find you? Do you have a web site or advertise in a national pub, where they can locate you? Just wondering in case I have the same issue. Thanks for heads up.
Capt Frank

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know how they found me... I assume one of my websites. Another is trying to work the same scam right now, I think. The primary contact (email) is vague so I told them to check out my website for more details. They told me they don't have time for browsing the internet. My thought was THEN HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU FIND MY EMAIL ADDRESS????????

Be very studious and analyze these emails for subtle hints such as this. They will get you if you're not careful. My guardian angel [angel] was looking out for me yesterday when that authority stepped out of line and called to tell me I was about to be swindled. I would've fallen prey to this scam except for the fact that all my deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE unless I cancel the trip.

Just beware! A guy on another forum I post on said they tried to pull this on him when he was selling his house. ???? how did they get his listing???? They sent him a money order for $15,000... he deposited it and then they requested he send them $5000 of the down because they were short on moving and traveling expenses... he caught on right there and sent them nothing. 3 weeks later the the money was gone from his account. The bank told him these fraudulent M.O.'s and cashiers checks are good and almost undetectable until trying to get payment from supposed originating bank. Luckily he wasn't out any money.

How do they find you? I don't know. They are very smart and will find a way.

Capt. Jim
The BEAST

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks for sharing that with us. I just got one along the same lines. The guy wanted to reserve a charter but would send a check for $3000 more than my charter fee. The reason he gave was that his bank would only issue one check every 3 months while he was out of the country. The extra money was for his 'agent' who would be making some kind of reservations for him. I suppose I would have been asked to deposit his check and then send the agent $3000 from my account. His check would ultimately bounce and I would be out the 3 grand. Well it didn't work. I have sent out some SCAM ALERTS and reported it to the feds.

I'd like to get my hands on the bazztard.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There ya go! My emails were not that blatant. Others have told me they only ask you to send back whatever is over your deposit or fee, to keep your confidence. Oh yeah, they want it sent by Western Union wire, leaving no trail. I have 3 more trying it right now. No matter what answers I give them they just keep replying that they need the details to sent the cheque(sp) for deposit or payment. A guy on the FS forum said he had them try to work it on him at his car dealership. The bank verified it but wehn the guy came to pick up the car he got very suspicious and wouldn't release the $85K BMW. The check donor called and said the big russian driver would bust his teeth out, so the guy called the cops and the driver hauled azz. 3 days later the cashiers check bounced and his bank tried to charge him for a returned check. GO FIGURE!

This scam is for real and a lot of Capt's are going to get burnt! I was lucky that I was alerted by an authority or I might have been one of them, too. It makes me feel good knowing at least one more didn't fall for it.

Capt. Jim
The BEAST

·
Registered
457 Posts
I posted an ad a year ago on the Tidalfish classifieds for a boat for $1500.00. I got the same response only I have the check (never deposited) as a souvenier. they sent me a check for $10,000.00 and I was supposed to deposit it and forward $8500.00 to a shipper in Spain who would arrange for shipping.

I was born in a day, but not YESTERDAY[grin].

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have had several of those emails myself. The first one I answered but decided that no one in their right mind would send that much money to someone they don't even know. So I told them I only took deposits up to the price of the charter and never heard from them again. It's a shame their are so many out there like that trying to get rich off someone else.

Good fishing guys!!
Capt Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts