Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
Been seeing alot of Pictures on cell phones and facebook of big rockfish. Especially females. A good number of them have blood on the outside of their bodies. I was always under the impression that when a fish bleeds it dies even if released and swims away. I always thought that the best catch and release method is to not even take them out of the water. The biggest fish i ever caught was only seen by whoever was on the boat with me. In addition, fisherman are holding fish all kinds of different ways. What do you people think? Is social media and the desire to show off big fish killing them?
Every fish that bleeds doesn't die. You cant tell a male from a female in a picture either. You might think because its fat it is a female but could be a male full of bunker. This has been going on for many years but is just seen more because of social media......... Gary

·
Registered
79 Posts
I killed one, didn't take a picture of it, and ate it for dinner.
Tomorrow, after I kill a turkey, I plan to do it all again. I may take a picture this time.
There may be blood, both in the morning, and the afternoon.
Thursday, after I shoot yet another turkey in the adjoining state, I just may whack another because my mom wants one.

It's a contact sport and it all ain't catch and release.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was only referring to catch and release. If fish can bleed and survive that's great. Can't tell males from females in pictures. That's good information.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
FYI- the biggest rockfish catching event I ever encountered (on the flats back in early 90s) were many huge males- many 40+ inches. All on topwater. You really cant tell from the fish this time of year until they spray you...Biggist was 52" not sure what sex that was but I don't remember getting spunked on that one. Don't troll myself anymore so have at them just point the slot fish north when you release them...I will send them south afterwards...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Saxis you are right on point

Lot of people getting soft on here, might be time to show off an eastern shore website, where we do actually kill fish.

Warning, dead tasty animal pictures.

http://www.coastalkillers.com

on the facebook youtube twitter, all that good stuff too.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
FYI- the biggest rockfish catching event I ever encountered (on the flats back in early 90s) were many huge males- many 40+ inches. All on topwater. You really cant tell from the fish this time of year until they spray you...Biggist was 52" not sure what sex that was but I don't remember getting spunked on that one. Don't troll myself anymore so have at them just point the slot fish north when you release them...I will send them south afterwards...
For a few years back then spring striper fishing on the flats was verboten.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts