Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got a bunch of umbrella rigs for christmas and some new rods. I have 8 rods and 10 umbrella rigs. So i was thinking of trolling 8 umbrellas and thats all. I figure it will put close to 70 baits behind the boat and I have it all planned out on the spread and length for the lines. Opinions?
Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Ryan,
I think you'd do better to vary lures in your spread. While umbrellas can be very effective, so can tandem parachutes, Storm shads, daisy chains, spoons and surgical hose. Some days fish will like certain baits over others, with all umbrellas you are potentially missing opportunities.
With an 8 rod spread I think I'd run 2 umbrellas deep, 2 more shallower and then fill out with parachutes and/or Storms with maybe a big spoon on a WWB line.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I think i will run 5 umbrellas a storm tandem a bucktail/chute tandem and a spoon wwb. How does that sound?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sometimes, especially in the winter I don't run Umbrella's at all. Come to think of it - I didn't catch a single fish on an umbrella in December - Tandems were the ticket for me this winter.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Umbrellas catch fish, that is why people use them, but they are no fun to reel in and the drag of the umbrella sometimes makes it hard to be sure about where your lure is...single chutes and tandems are more fun, but a 10 inch BKD is more fun than any of them! Good luck either way, enjoy!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I usually troll 12-14 lines with boards. We run 2 umbrellas deep with 16-20 oz inline weights to get them down in the water column. I run the 20oz 55' and the 16oz 75'. I attach the weights to the umbrellas directly and use braid to get them down. If they get hit I'll drop 2 more from the other 2 boat rods with less weight and run further back. I'll try to get them from 30' to 20' deep. Charters I've been on have run all umbrellas and they do catch.
I run boards with solos and tandems mainly...much more fun to fish as you can feel the fish as opposed to umbrellas which are a bear to reel in with bubba on the other end. Key is to be flexible and cover the water then tune into the bite/depth.
I've heard some very good fishermen say "don't tell me what they're biting, just tell me how deep they are".

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I have fished a charter in the spring that uses all umbrellas (like 20+ lines). Why? because they catch. In our dirty water it certainly makes a larger appearance in the water. I typically pull my umbrellas short and deep because they are a pain to reel in and I think they are the most effective lure deep due to lower visability and larger appearance. If it wasnt for me not wanting to drag them around all the time, I would pull more than the 2-3 I typically pull now (in my 9 line spread without boards). I still think they are the single most effective lure you can pull in the bay trolling.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
They catch more fish. Period. If you are a newbie to trolling the bay I would put whatever it takes in the water to put fish on the end of the line. Once you put a couple hundred fish on the boat and have had enough of the umbrella "dead weight" then start to experiment if you want. But if you ask me, im out to catch fish and if my confidence is in an umbrella then thats what im going with. Every one of my boat lines would be umbrella except the WWB if I were you. Good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Run two baits of off oposite arms on your umbrellas.......When a fish is on one bait the umbrella rig will turn sideways and create less drag in the water during the retreive.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Run two baits of off oposite arms on your umbrellas.......When a fish is on one bait the umbrella rig will turn sideways and create less drag in the water during the retreive.
That is a great idea I never thought of that. But they are the small umbrellas so they should not create to much drag. I know this sounds stupid but other than the hassle of pulling them in I think they are a simple rig.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I figure it will put close to 70 baits behind the boat...
Thanks, Ryan
Just remember you can't have 70 hooks in the water, only two per line. The rest of the shads need to be hookless.

Of the four fish we managed down south on Saturday, 2 were on umbrellas on the most outside of our planer board rods, and two were on tandems out near the end as well.

With the the cold water up here, you may have better luck trying to get everything deep.

Good luck if you go!

Mike

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just remember you can't have 70 hooks in the water, only two per line. The rest of the shads need to be hookless.

Of the four fish we managed down south on Saturday, 2 were on umbrellas on the most outside of our planer board rods, and two were on tandems out near the end as well.

With the the cold water up here, you may have better luck trying to get everything deep.

Good luck if you go!

Mike
Alright thanks. Sorry I ment to add that I would have either one or 2 hooks per line because I am aware of that rule.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I like the smaller umbrellas (12" 4-6 arm) I think these are a great compromise and have much less drag than the big 8 bait ones. I would not hesitate to run all umbrellas in the spring. Most of the charters do this or throw in just a couple tandems. If you run all the same type of umbrella, staggering your depths and setting your lines out will be much easier.

I keep all my umbrellas (small 12") rigged with shads in large 2 gallon ziplock bags (don't mix colors). I then have all my parachutes rigged to a 2 foot leader and hung on the inside rim of a bucket with notches around the rim. To set out lines, just set the wwb first, no weight, and go from there adding weight an decreasing length of line out (I don't use planers). I add the weight directly in front of the umbrella and have not noticed any negative effects. Super simple setup and take down, and no more wrapping up all the line from the tandems and keeping them untangled. I used to mix in tandems, single chutes, bucktails, but this way is just plain a lot easier and seems to catch as well.

Other times of year, I think you should definitely mix your spread up a lot more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts