Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I dusted off my fishing tackle the other day after going back through some old pictures and listening to some old podcast shows I did on the Lateral Line podcast.

Who is still hanging out around here?

How are you doing?

And how's the fishing in Maryland's portion of the bay?

Brandon

· Registered
3,486 Posts
Greetings Brandon!

Its nice to hear from you and I hope you are well.

i am getting old and I still fish sometimes, I fished yesterday out of a canoe in freshwater and did not catch anything but it was a nice time on the water.

Tidalfish is mostly quiet, with a few posters that post on fishing and fishing-related issues. Your post is the first one today.

Unfortunately there is a lot of non-fishing related noise, trolling, bullying and personal attacks, there seems to be no moderation, and that is not helpful.

The striped bass fishing is very poor compared to years ago.

· Registered
425 Posts
Good to hear from you.. Been a long time. Most of the guys that posted when you were here have discontinued posting. Several left because there were some who created havoc over trivial ****. Naturally some moved away or just got old.
Used to really enjoy the get together you hosted.
Hope you are well.

· Registered
15,468 Posts
Hey B, I'm still hangin. Good to hear from you.. The bay gets worse every year. No croakers, no flounder, no blues, no big stripers, way less perch, spot and yellers. Cobia and redfish have moved North into the bay but not in big numbers. Crabbing is also worse every year. How are you doing in Cali. I see you on you bike often..........Gary

· Registered
1,376 Posts
Still around but only since 2001. I try to stay uninvolved except to post the occasional fishing report. Sometimes I get sucked into meaningless discussions but I am really just interested in the fishing. Wish there were more who would post reports. Thanks to those who do.

Brandon, it would be great if you could bring about this change.

Pat

· Registered
4,561 Posts
Hi Brandon. As others have noted, this has become more a forum for complaining about: politicians, the DNR, pro athletes, minorities, etc. I still visit the site each day and try to limit my comments to fishing-related matters. It would be beneficial to have an active moderator for the site to cut down on some of the unnecessary banter.

· Registered
4,353 Posts
Still here.

Nice to hear from you Brandon. Hope all is well.

Wife and I still remember meeting you by chance while cruising around Eastern Bay. Fun getting the hat handed to us between boats.

May give up the Parker. Age says it’s about time. Might not even get a Talbot sticker this season. Yikes.

Ditto the comments about those who can’t seem to stick with the program.

· Registered
8,664 Posts
Brandon,
Thanks for the message. I thought I would check back in here after hearing from you. Winter fishing while light tackle jigging has been pretty good. It is a gamble like most winters. Fish feed in smaller windows and not every day. However you can hit an absolute homerun on a hot bite with the possibility of trophy fish too. Weather also plays a role to when we can get out since it certainly is more risky this time of year.

Because the bay still hasnt dropped below 40 degrees, it isnt unusual to find a great open water bite. Menhaden seem to still be here in the channels. Of course we do not pass up on fish feeding on silversides this time of year either. I know of January open water bites from Bloody Point to PLO.

Catfishing should be hot and I plan on that out of both DC and Annapolis. Trophy's out of DC but lots of schoolie action out of Annapolis. The schoolies should be bigger this year too as they seem to grow every year.

Best trip this winter was on Jan 10th. I did some running with 80nm on the day but we hit a home run with nonstop action on mid 20's fish a few in the 30's and we boated 8 over 40" with the largest going 47". I even had one angler who boated 4 of them between 44" and 46" himself. This was open water on the channel edge. We found the fish while running when my fish finder lit up with bait. However as the trip went on, we even had bird play with fish rolling on the surface.

I have also had a trip or two where I ran a lot for very few fish.. Like I said, it is a gamble but you can hit a home run

Here are Mike's light tackle 4 over 40 on the day...

Water Vertebrate Boat Sky Fish

Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate Outdoor recreation

Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Outdoor recreation

Water Sky Vertebrate Outdoor recreation Fish

· Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to hear from you.. Been a long time. Most of the guys that posted when you were here have discontinued posting. Several left because there were some who created havoc over trivial ****. Naturally some moved away or just got old.
Used to really enjoy the get together you hosted.
Hope you are well.
Good to hear from you!

Well, there was always people causing havoc, some years more than others :)

· Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Greetings Brandon!

Its nice to hear from you and I hope you are well.

i am getting old and I still fish sometimes, I fished yesterday out of a canoe in freshwater and did not catch anything but it was a nice time on the water.

Tidalfish is mostly quiet, with a few posters that post on fishing and fishing-related issues. Your post is the first one today.

Unfortunately there is a lot of non-fishing related noise, trolling, bullying and personal attacks, there seems to be no moderation, and that is not helpful.

The striped bass fishing is very poor compared to years ago.
Hey Steve,

I had to laugh when you said, "I'm getting old and still fish sometimes."

Seems to be one of those things that you can't escape...lol

Very sad to hear the fishing is not as good as it used to be. Man was it good when it was good!

Good to hear from you
Brandon

· Registered
12,498 Posts
I quit fishing the Chesapeake Bay . I have no interest in Catfish,White Perch or fishing or 1 Striped bass in the upper bay Yeah ,I know you can C&R but my feelings are that they really don't want us to do that for the sake of taking a chance on injuring or killing any extra bass . I agree and I quit fishing for them .I would feel guilty being part of that probem when I don't have to be. I only catch some If I stumble on some from time to time by accdent fishing for other river species and I'm tired of traveling to Virginia for Cobia , Red Fish and Trout anymore. I'm happy fishing Rivers for Snakeheads , Walleyes, Pickerel, Yellow Perch and there's more than enough Bass and Crappys that I catch by accident in pursuit of those other species. I'm done with the Chesapeake Bay proper. A far as politics goes, alot of people are extremely upset where this country is going and where it is today.No one alive has ever dreamed what would be happenig for ourselves,our children and grand children .This isn't your nomal politics and it's hard to stick your head in the sand and make believe it isn't happening or it's normal .Every day it's something else, and it usually isn't good. Hopfully things will change for the better but I have my doubts . I would be lying if I told you it doesn't upset me every day just to think about it. I don't consider it humerous in the least and I'm not alone either. These are tough times for this country and many are frustrated for the first time in their lives It;s a touchy subject.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts