Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trolling in the spring using chutes and shads, do most of you alternate between chartreuse and white next to each other in your spread or do you put all chartreuse on one side of the boat and white on the other side? Which seems to work best for you? I tend to alternate colors but is that the best way, or doe it really matter? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I run separate sides that way if one side of the boat is hot maybe you could start switching out a couple of baits on the side with no action.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Usually try to mix them up by depth and color on each side of the boat. Maybe I am just picky but especailly for people that are pulling with outriggers or planer boards I would think that having mixed colors would be more beneficial.

I you drag over a fish with white baits and the fish only wants chartureuse and doesn't see the baits on the other side for whatever reason, you have potentially missed an opportunity for a strike.

I only run 7 lines so it's somewhat easy to remember what I have out, and even at that I keep it written down on a small tablet in my tackle box and erase and make chnages as I need to.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I run alot more than two colors. they are all over the place but I try and have a mix at each debth I'm covering.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I tried something differant this year.I run tandems-one chart.-one white.Warren's baitshop and Tyler's (I'm sure others) are tying up a chart./white parachute to match the chart. back/white belly shads.We did good with that combo-looks more like a fish being two colors.I also like yellow-deeper rods and blue/white early in the season.Gold spoons on cloudy/rainy days can really produce.Never hurts to try something differant. Skip

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
When I fished with Rick Caton out of OI he trolled two different colored baits off of a 3 way on the same rod...same size too....that way fish has a choice........:cool:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I do the same as Burgess except white to stbd, and chart to port. Have had some great luck though with white with black back shads and chart with dark blue back shads, so my spread has some of those thrown in with the basic colors. Also had some good luck with the yellow and white shads, especially in the 6 inch size on 1-2 oz bucktails right after the "trophy" season when the mid grade fish move in on the bait.

LeftOar:D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've heard that mixing one color chute or bucktail with a different color shad trailer is a no no, but never thought about running different colors on the same tandem off the 3-way swivel. It kinda makes sense to give the fish a choice if it does have a preference to colors, so it will hit one or the other and won't take off due to not seeing the color it prefers.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Biggest fish I hooked, lost it do to twisting the trailer hook off, came off of a tandem barnie, although just the regular parachute,not the big lipped.

That's why I have two rods dedicated to the barnie color this year.

Might have to try the one chartreuse one white on each rod, to further cover the bases. I like that idea.

I've heard that mixing one color chute or bucktail with a different color shad trailer is a no no,
That's what I have always heard, at a minimum keep the hair and the shad the same color. Sometimes, you can't keep the body and the shad the same color.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts