Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Mike, I think the current location is going to be a problem. I'm an RF Engineer. At 9400 MHz the aluminum around the antenna is a perfect conductor and will interfere with the radiation pattern of the radar. It might not be usable. My other concern is that manufacturers of marine radars suggest having radomes above passengers for safe emissions. I'd have the radome on an arch or pole over the tower. Don't shoot the messenger. Good luck with the tower install and let us know how things go.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, I think the current location is going to be a problem. I'm an RF Engineer. At 9400 MHz the aluminum around the antenna is a perfect conductor and will interfere with the radiation pattern of the radar. It might not be usable. My other concern is that manufacturers of marine radars suggest having radomes above passengers for safe emissions. I'd have the radome on an arch or pole over the tower. Don't shoot the messenger. Good luck with the tower install and let us know how things go.
Mike, if I turn the radar on that means fog, night, storms or other reasons to run it thus nobody will be in the tower. We will all be under the radar under the hard top. I guess we'll wait and see how it performs under the tower.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's better to bend aluminum then have sharp 90 degree corners like that....but I don't know anything except steel and alum combat vessels so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Ladder placement is a little odd to me as well. Other than that congrats man. You will kill a lot of fish out of that tower and you will have fun watching tuna crash your spread. Next is the small boat stick.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts