Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so remember my PVC trolling rig I put together last summer? I said at the time that you'd never hear about it if it broke, but I'd sure as heck be bragging if it held up. Well, I'm happy to make two reports. One, is that it lasted until September (granted, most of my trolling was with light tackle). Two, is that it was stolen! Yup, right off the back of my boat when it was tied to the dock. Not really a big loss, I think I had about 12 bucks invested, and I'll dern sure recognize it if I ever see it again. (Truth is, I expect it'll turn-up eventually in somebody's museum of ingenious inventions.) :D :D Anyway, I've decided to hang on to the Express Cruiser and fit her out with an aluminum arch. I've seen the Atlantic Towers prefab ones, and may go that route, but I'm thinking I could spend about the same and get one made. Any recommendations? 8'6" beam, and I need it tall enough so I don't bust my head everytime a rod goes down. Any ideas on about what I should expect to spend? -Shawn

·
Registered
987 Posts
Shawn, I looked all over, couldn't find one cheaper than AT.
Going to order mine at the end of February.
If you find one cheaper please post
Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
Shawn, if your as handy and as smart as you sound, you might be interested in this set up where you can make it yourself with all the fittings you need in aluminum and you can order it annodized or mill with all kind of fittings available. I know it is not a custom made welded one but I think it is a cool set up
check them out at www.hollaender.com they have a cool peices

Just my .02cents worth
Benny

·
Registered
332 Posts
Shawn,
Last year I also considered an arch from AT. However, I had a custom arch made to my specs by Valhalaha Marine out of Wash state. They did a great job,quick turn around,and less money then AT.
Hope this helps, Jeff

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Shawn-beware the one size fits none archs.Clif Wasser in Millersville did my arch and the radar bracket that folds down.Top notch work from a guy who also fishes.410 544-3340 or 410 757-9374.If you have room put two spreader lights on.Hope who ever stole your PVC holder-uses it and loses 5-6 expensive rod/reel combos.:eek: That is really low to get on your boat and steal your rod holder.It won't work except on your boat -so why steal it ? Skip

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Sandpiper has relocated in Shady Side. Across the street from Backyard Boats and Advance Marine.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
For the price Atlantic was my choice 4 years ago and have no complaints except it took me 2 hours to put on the boat. Only bit of advice is if you install it make sure you run extra wires in there for future spot lights etc as fishing wire in the tubes is a pita. I picked mine up in NJ since I worked in phila once a week at the time and they do lots of stuff for big boats to plus great customer service.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Radar Arch: Happy Boater

I was reluctant to make a change to the boat but was happy with the result.
With a 20 foot boat space is a premium and GPS or Antenna connections take up casting and walking space. Plus the Bimini Top and curtains were in great shape when needed but out of the way when not.

What else sounds good? Well it is nice to have a little altititude when watching for cobia without a T-top in the way, and when a good deal rolls around a good place to hang the radar.

It all comes together tomorrow :) :clap:

Having had the radar arch installed last week with rocket launchers and GPS/Antenna fittings all ready in place, radar goes on in the morning.

If you shop around the arch with stair steps can be added for around $1,000 but with a little immagination the same ammount transitions into space for spreader lights, running light, etc. (all pre-drilled if you plan ahead to have the template ready).

Can't wait for that first cobia :)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
This is in the current (3/20) edition of the Star Democrat's classified;
RADAR ARCH: Aluminum, 1 3/4" dia. 55" high, 73" wide at bottom, 57" wide at top. Four (4) gold rod holders. $550. #410 745 3741.
Might be worth a call, the price seems right!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts