Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.
I would like to start some semi-serious crabpot crabbing this year in lower southern branch of Elizabeth River. How many pots may I legally put out without any license, etc.?
This would be for crabs to hand out to friends and family, not a commercial venture. Being retired, I could check pots daily. By the way, any guidelines on when (regularity) to check pots?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe on Third Wish

·
Registered
846 Posts
Crabs

If you are talking about the Elizabeth River in Virginia, Its two pots per boat I think. Do a search on Virginia Institute of Marine Science, (VIMS). They have the recreational crabbing specs. Or call at (757) 247-2200. I need to call them as Last year when my brother was with me, we used four pots, (Two each) and I think that might be not allowed.

Best crabbing is a moving tide, closer to dawn the better. Use good fresh bait, Crabs don't like rotten meat anymore than you or I.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yep its two pots without a license and a max a five with the Rec gear license for pot is $36.00 I crab the Southern Branch too and I have lost some gear to theives so I mostly rum short Trot lines in adj creeks and man you cant beat it. Where do you put in Jordan Bridge?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I read the regs,

Any advice to where to put out my 2 pots near Little creek. Both leaglly and effectively.

Do I need a certain bouy, and do i still need to put numbers on it, even if its non license?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your bouy has to have the last four of your social followed by an R ie. 1234-R or the last four of your drivers license# even without a gear license. As far as little Little creek anywhere away from the Amphib base, inside little creek your fine however right outside the jetties and pretty much all of the bay from June 1 to Sep 15 is Illegal its part of the Blue Crab sanctuary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just one more question; can my wife have two pots and me have two? Then four would be sufficient for my family's & friends's needs. Trot line is out of the question for my 20' Grady White. 225 Johnson won't idle slow enuf either.
Thanks, all,
Joe on THIRD WISH

·
Registered
3 Posts
White Swan 32' Lippincott Capt. Matt

I put a fish trap off the end of my pier last week just to see whats swiming around in Old Road Bay. I've caught several white perch, yellow perch, and lots of sunnys. Can't wait for the season to start. Crabbing starts here about the 1st week in May.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts