Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know this isn't for the Bay, but I wanted to share my experience from my Deep Sea adventure a couple of weeks ago... Me and my son James and 4 other friends boarded the High Return out of Oregon Inlet Fishing Center. She is an amazing 58' Buddy Cannady Custom Sportfisher.

Well, we boarded and left the dock a few mins after 5am for our run out the Gulf Stream on flat calm seas..... You could have water skied out, it was so calm.. On the way our Mate, Jimmy told us what to expect and that the Dolphin bite has been off the hook as of late. Asked about some Tuna and he said the tuna bite was not very good, but the Marlin bite had been hot, so we would probably be doing that later in the day. So we get around the grass around 645am and we put lines in and immediately we're all hooking -up Dolphin left and right. My son James caught probably 20 or 25 of em' himself! He was having a ball! We ended up catching 60 of them in about an hour and a half.

So after that we started the troll for Marlin, we went for about 2 hrs watching Pilot Whales all over the place. Jimmy joked and said well if we don't catch anything else, you guys will have had an awesome whale watching trip! Not long after that the Capt. Dave was marking all sorts of stuff and Jimmy and the 2nd Mate Braxton starting a jigging the trolling baits trying to get something to hit. Then all of a sudden the water 100yds from us starts to explode with Tuna, I mean 60-80 pounders come clean out of the water. We were all amazed with what was happening, it was wild!!! So we troll right through them and nothing hooks -up. Jimmy was freaking out that nothing hit. He tells us to get out of the way and he and Braxton are on the mad scramble to re-rig some rods with different baits and add additional rods to the mix. More or less he was replacing all of the TLD 25's for Penn 50 wides. All the meanwhile the tuna are still blasting the water along with all of the other boats working the same area.

After they get everything rigged -up again Jimmy and Braxton run up the bow with 2 heavy Spinners with big surface plugs. I'm watching them from the back and all of a sudden the water turns red in all directions with life.... It was a massive school of squid that went underneath the boat, unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it ( I was too focused on what the Mates were doing). Not even 30 seconds later they hook -up 2 tuna. So they come running down the side and hand the first rod to my buddy Steve and I get the second one... And boy did we have some fun for the next 15 mins or so!!! This was my first ever Tuna and to catch one on a Spinning Rod is something that I will never forget! Steve made pretty quick work of his.. It was around 25-30lbs or so. Mine weighed in at 60lbs and it took me for a ride!!! I thought at one point I was going to get spooled, he made 2 big runs and line was peeling off the Penn 7500 Spinfisher. I finally get him turned around and start working him up. Once we started to see some color I knew we had a good one! I worked him up to the side and Jimmy gaffed him and got him in.. Where I let out a yell like I had just won the big game!! The adrenaline was pumping through me so hard I didn't know what to do. I hugged my son and all of a sudden I became over come with emotion, I couldn't help it. I was so pumped of what I just did!

Thankfully our friend Staci recorded most of the fight! For the record I cant stop watching it!!

See the video here...

We managed to catch one other nice one about 30 mins later that Rebecca reeled in while trolling. That was our day.. We ended up with an amazing experience that I hope to do again very soon. After all of the fish were cleaned we came home with 110lbs of filets!!!:eek2: So much so that we had to buy another cooler to get them back to our rental in Corolla.

If any of you are ever looking to take a charter out of Oregon Inlet, I highly recommend going on the High Return with Capt. Dave Swain. http://www.fishhighreturn.com/ These guys are true professionals at what they do and they will not disappoint. We told them that we will be back again for sure..

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
I fished the white Marlin open a few years back on the high returns. Congrats on your catches but believe me 110# of filets off the Carolina coast is considered a slow day! Welcome to the world of the blue water running though your veins! The Chesapeake will never be the same. Sell the boat, buy a bigger one you will not regret doing it on your own. Hell I pretty much gave up on the bay, except for a few evening trips while landlocked that I have enough lures, tackle and dem purdy gold reels to outfit you! Congrats again but I pretty much guarantee you the next time your fishing the bay and look at the water in the prop wash you'll be asking yourself " why the hell am I fishing in this cesspool"

·
Registered
349 Posts
Edge Creek,great report thanks, glad you had a great time. Wish I could have been there too.

Reel World ,what an ignorant reply you put up. Edge Creek and friends obviously had a good time and you come in to rain on the parade.
Note to self===don`t use reel world

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Edge Creek,great report thanks, glad you had a great time. Wish I could have been there too.

Reel World ,what an ignorant reply you put up. Edge Creek and friends obviously had a good time and you come in to rain on the parade.
Note to self===don`t use reel world
Bob- I didn't see Reel Worlds comment as a "dis" at all...I saw it as some congrats and some tongue and cheek humor. His comment about Blue Water running through my veins was spot on... If I could tomorrow, I'd drop everything and fish the Ocean full time, but work and family and not to mention cost involved, just doesn't work for me right now.. I do love fishing the bay and enjoy the challenges that it brings, but not being able to see your baits in 5' of water is no joy.

Please don't stir the pot... This board has gotten bad enough with all of the bickering and back stabbing. I honestly feel that's the reason why we see so few reports nowadays. Everyone doesn't want to feed the BS...

·
Registered
636 Posts
How in the hell did I rain on someone's parade! I offered congradutations on the catch, yes I did state that normally 110# of filets can be a slow day off the Carolina coast could be considered a slow day. Anyone who has fished the area can attest to that. Then even congratulated him on being hooked on the sport of blue water fishing. Much more exciting than catching stripers, perch etc. and then to even go further I offered to supply him with tackle and gear for either a discounted fee or free if he decided to persue the sport on his own. Sorry I rained on YOUr parade but I did not mean to offend the person posting in any way. Geez this place is getting worse than a first grade classroom, watch what you say or do or you may just wind up hurting someone's tender little feelings.
To the person that started the thread I am sorry if I came across the wrong way really was only trying to congratulate you on your catch and being hooked on the sport.
To the person that quoted me, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings so bad that you had to make a remark such as you did! But you know what......... I really don't give a hoot, life's too short for poor attitudes such as yours. Enjoy your cesspool!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How in the hell did I rain on someone's parade! I offered congradutations on the catch, yes I did state that normally 110# of filets can be a slow day off the Carolina coast could be considered a slow day. Anyone who has fished the area can attest to that. Then even congratulated him on being hooked on the sport of blue water fishing. Much more exciting than catching stripers, perch etc. and then to even go further I offered to supply him with tackle and gear for either a discounted fee or free if he decided to persue the sport on his own. Sorry I rained on YOUr parade but I did not mean to offend the person posting in any way. Geez this place is getting worse than a first grade classroom, watch what you say or do or you may just wind up hurting someone's tender little feelings.
To the person that started the thread I am sorry if I came across the wrong way really was only trying to congratulate you on your catch and being hooked on the sport.
To the person that quoted me, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings so bad that you had to make a remark such as you did! But you know what......... I really don't give a hoot, life's too short for poor attitudes such as yours. Enjoy your cesspool!
Hey Man.. I backed you up on this one.. I was in no way offended (see my response below to him). Trust me I appreciate the offer to use your gear if need be. Not too many people I know would offer that up.

Like you said its getting brutal on here. I enjoy reading the bay reports (when there are some), but the BS and bickering has gotten out of hand. God forbid you want to keep your legal limit of Rock, you get chastised for keeping more than one.

Thank you for your support of my day, it sure is one that will stay with me for a very long time.
Brian

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
What a report, and video. Felt like I was on the boat. Thanks!! A lot of us would love to do that, but for a lot of different reasons we can't. SO, guess we will have to stick to our Chesapeake Bay and little boats. That was a great post.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sweet trip. Love seeing the young guy in the pictures. It's a whole different world out there. Get him back out there again and let him see the pointy nose fish lit up behind the boat and there will definitely be no turning back.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Terrific report on a great day in the stream. Have chartered out of OI and HI about a dozen times and loved it. A good Capt. & especially a well-schooled and engaging mate can make even a "slow" day memorable. Baling Dolphin sure is a blast and a nice way to break up trolling. Glad you got into some Tuna as well. Have seen squid here or there but never saw the red mass. Its sounds wild. Reminds me of the first time, fishing out of Montauk, I saw a marlin light up florescent red hitting a bait. From massive schools of butterfish to whales to leaping Mako, there's so much to see out there it is truly intoxicating. Sharing the experience with friends and family makes it even better. Can tell by the smiles on you and your son that you'll be back.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Mike (lubbernomo)
Bluewater 2350 out of the South RIver

·
Registered
884 Posts
Not only is Oregon Inlet a great place to fish, but my wife has fallen in love with Nags Head. We look forward to our trip every year. The blue water is amazing. We time our trip around the early summer yellowfin bite. The cobia, spanish macs, reds, and specks offer some of the best inshore fishing around too.

·
Registered
11,150 Posts
You did have a great day .Oregon Inlet can be great year around.When the snow is blowing up here this winter, try another Yellowfin Tuna trip down there. The first time I went there in January, we caught 36 yellow fin around 1992. I fished on the Fishin Frenzy every winter. The best Tuna Day I ever had. The water temp was 64 in the stream, 40 mi. off. We left in winter jackets and were fishing in T shirts. It's hard to beat that place. You're hooked now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
ECA= again wish I could have been with you on a great trip.I issue an unconditional congratulation to you and friends.

rw= not everyone has the resources to fish the ocean

people that I know and respect are smart enough to not go "one up" on others

to call the Chessy Bay a cesspool is a slap to all that enjoy it

Last if you search me ,you will find that I am not a troublesome poster,This one just hit me wrong. Try to do better

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great report and good contributions from all. I love the bay and love the canyons and never give up a chance to spend a day with either. Let's keep the good reports coming-

Mike

·
Registered
884 Posts
if you're looking to put meat in the box, take a look around the 1st week of Nov. Lots of wahoo and yf slapped on the docks around then. Some blackfin too. Houses are real cheap also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts