Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom and I went out Saturday morning. Weather was colder, river was higher and on the muddy side. Not a good sign. When we got down to the shad hole, we ran into Ralph who had just paddled up from the ramp. I think he said it took him about 50 minutes. I guess that is about half way. I found out today that the trip we take is a little more then 2.6 miles. I always thought it was longer then that. Anyway, fishing was slow. I managed one white shad above the shad hole.

Then we (I) didn't get another hit till we were almost at the ramp. Here I caught two more. Taking pictues of yourself catching fish in a kayak isn't the easiest thing to do.

All shad were buck white (American) shad. All were caught on the bottom on shad darts. They wanted the dart right ont he bottom and only slighty twitched. A sure sign the water was cold.

I had my 5wt with me but had no luck. I just can't get down like I can with the 9wt.

Anyway, it was slow for everyone that day. Hopefully this warm weather will bring things back to life, although it will also bring the boaters to life. Most are respectful of you, but it only takes one to piss you off. I get at least one of those a trip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Was wondering how you and Tom did, so I called him yesterday to find out. Cold water definitely means getting your shad bait on the bottom, fly or dart.

Nice American. Seems like that last one was intent on turning your world upside down.[grin]

I got out that way yesterday to scout a couple of other trips and your water is NOT muddy, at least compared to what was coming down from further upriver. Interesting experience to spend 20 minutes at a spot and be able to "see" the river rising. Obviousl I kept my boat dry.

·
Registered
575 Posts
See the guy in the yellow yak in the background? That's me, not catching JACK! Pretty weather, sucky fishing. Calvin had to take his own pictures because I was pissed that he was catching all the fish. No, seriously, he is the shad master and days like that is when the skill comes out. By the time I figured out how to go after them I was to frustrated to keep fishing.

The fishing there should be better this weekend but I can't go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts