Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother took my five year old to Chestertown and he came home with five decent white perch, bought right off a boat (for $5) on the Chester River (Quaker Neck). "Look what I got for dinner." Out of the five, four were big females, loaded with roe. It had been many a year since I stood elbow to elbow in the Spring trying to fill a bucket with white perch, but I usually find a school or two of fat perch in the summer and keep some. I was amazed at how poor the bodies were on these pre-spawn fish compared to those summer fish! There was almost nothing to them, obviously they had put all their energy into those bulging egg sacks. Those skinny fillets tasted great, but I have to admit the roe was not the delicacy I "remembered" from my youth. (Of course, maybe it was better washed down with Natty Boh...) But bottomline, it made me think a little harder about the sense in killing any prespawn fish. Not intended to start "yellowperchhearingextravaganzapart2", just some food for thought.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cant agree with you more!!! Caught alot of nice pearch last week and they were nice and fat but NO MEAT :eek2: I will NEVER kill any prespawn fish again what a waste of a fine rockfish bait. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I agree guys. I'd just as soon get some farm raised catfish and fry it up and wait for the spawn to be over before I bother any egg laying fish.

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice touch...

Hi Brandon,

Wow, I was suprised you were able to identify me that way. I'll have to admit it was a nice suprise to get an e-mail from you. I adamantly respect your fishing prowess and also what you do for the bay.

I have in fact posted once or twice, at the most :), a long time ago on the old site. But truthfully, I guess I am what you all call a lurker. Using the site to help me find fish when I do finally get out to fish.

I fish out of Tilghman Island, and typically get out maybe 7 or 8 times a year. I'm hoping to fish more soon as my boys are finally getting older. They are ages 5,3, and 1 now.

I will definitely make a better effort to post any reports from my infrequent outings.

Thanks again.

Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts