Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my anchor last night to the rocks at Fletcher's on the Potomac....now I need a new one! Hoping you guys can provide some suggestions for kayak anchors. Thanks!

Here's my fishing report if you're interested:
http://www.tidalfish.com/boards2/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP603105492&id=34216

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've think I read on one of the boards people using old spinning rods loaded with 50-lb test. It can even be a little zebco or just 1/2 of a broken rod. They would tie on rocks, old engine parts, detergent bottle filled with water, etc... If they get snagged they would cut the line and then they would tie on another rock. I've never used 50-lb test so I don't know what kind of stretch it has and how the stretch would affect your anchoring (would you look like a giant yo-yo on the water[tongue]).

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you're in a rocky river or when the bottom has a bunch of junk, get two feet of heavy chain as your anchor. It holds great in places like the Nottoway but not worth a dime when the bottom is slick and there is tide, current or wind. In over 20 years, I can't recall losing this anchor due to hang-ups. Can't say the same for mushroom or danforths.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The folding grapple type work well in the rocks also and if rigged with the release (zip tie line to the top ring and tie line to the bottom) then you can recovery if if you are snagged and then just put another zip tie on, so carry extras and you'll never loose an anchor. They have 1, 3 and 5 pounders at West Marine and Boater's World. The bruce works better on a sandy bottom though.
Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.