Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to the CBBT on Wed. and hope to spend a couple of days doing some light tackle fishing, however, if the bite during the day doesn't cooperate I might give the night time fishing a try. Since I've never really fished the bay at night before I was wondering if there are any under water objects I need to watch out for when anchoring around the highrise. Just wasn't sure if there were cables, rockpiles or any other thing else that could claim my anchor.

Also, I made sure my anchor/chain/rope setup should be more than enough to hold my 23 ft boat in a current so I feel pretty good from that perspective.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
First you may want to check the forecast for Wed and Wed night. It sucks.

Almost all of the pilings have rocks and objects that can claim your anchor if you drop a regular anchor too close to the pilings. If you want to drop an anchor close to the pilings, recommend a wreck anchor. But what most folks do is wait until the current is moving some, then go a good ways up current from the pilings, then drop your anchor and drop back so the boat (not the anchor) is close the pilings. Keep your engines running until you know it bites good and you're stuck. As you lose current, the wind may push you away from the pilings and you may have to reposition.

G

·
Think I would forget about Wednesday. Supposed to blow!

As far as the High Rise goes - just have a lot of anchor line to give a good scope to your boat. A lot of common places we fish is 40-60' deep so you need at least 200' of rode if the current is moving hard. I carry a minimum of 300' on my main anchor. Bottom is pretty good and safe. Never lost an anchor there. Also, make sure you have at least 3-5' of heavy chain on the anchor to get it down quickly and a good grab on the bottom.

Most go 200 feet from the bridge. Drop their anchors, set them and then pay out extra rode until you are within a comfortable distance from the bridge. You don't want to be on top of the pilings but far enough away so that you can drift your baits back to the bridge. This also gives you room to play a fish and keep it away from the pilings.

Also, make sure you have a good spotlight - some boats out there shut off their anchor or running lights at night when anchored. Guess they are trying to save on their battery vs. being safe????

·
Registered
335 Posts
Also, make sure you have a good spotlight - some boats out there shut off their anchor or running lights at night when anchored. Guess they are trying to save on their battery vs. being safe????
I've picked up any number of boats without any lights at night on my radar... I've assumed they don't want anyone to know where they are. I've turned toward a couple of them (from quite a safe distance) and forced them to turn their lights on.... of course they don't know I have radar.... worse case scenario is a boat running without lights or radar coming up on a boat without lights on fishing.

Keep the lights on properly!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts