Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at how to best figure out how deep my lures are runnning with out using planers...I understand mono vs braid vs wire (no one use that anymore do they?) and how they affect depth, Just looking for a "rule of thumb like 12 oz weight on 20 lbd mono 100 feet of line out would be 10 feet down, 200 feet out would be 15 feet etc. I used to have this but lost my cheat sheet. Couldnt get my lures this weekend where I wanted them in the water column

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Take those depth charts with a grain of salt.I've found them to be off sometimes.

Your line does not go straight from the rod- it actually bows out, then back in to the lure.Almost like an S shape.Unless you are pulling heavy lures very close and fast.

Going into the current will cause lures to ride higher then when going with the current.

I watch my meter and when I see fish at say 25 feet and 5-20 seconds later a rod gets hit - I'll make a note of it and figure that lure was about 20-24 feet deep.

All things equal- I'd rather be 15 feet above the Rock then 1 foot below them.In clear water-Rock will come up to hit lures fished way above them.

Last thing is the rod tip height off the water.A rod off a T-top will be more shallow then one fished 90* off the side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts