Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two part question:
a. Yak dealers in the area? I've settled on a OK Prowler 13...just waiting on the current house to sell and closing on the new house.

b. local yakkers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in NOVA and fish the bay. Let us know when you want to join us. Fishingrod and some others are looking forward to October, oops.... I meant ROCKTOBER!!

We fished Sandy Point State Park couple times and there are others spots also.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
boondoogle,

You can get OK kayaks at any REI store in the DC/Baltimore area. Bass Pro Shops and I think Sunny's Surplus also carries OK. You can order from kayakfishingstuff.com and they will rig it exactly the way you want it set up.

Give us a holler when you get the yak and want to meet up to do some yak fishing.

I usually go in the Potomac, Patapsco, Magothy, Chesapeake Bay, etc... with Biggie, Chesapeakeblend and other guys from the board. We may be heading over to Janes Island State Park in Crisfield, MD sometime next month. I'll make another post once we know what weekend we plan that trip.

Rod

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used to live on Harness Creek. Almost every night after work I'd go out and catch my dinner (rock, perch, crabs, etc). Man that was the life.

I can't say enough about the service I received from Spring River. I don't know if they still do this, but they allowed me to demo kayaks for free right in Spa Creek right next to their shop.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I should be in the area full time nlt 11 Oct and will get the yak shortly thereafter. SWMBO has locked onto a house in Cape St Clair area but we have to sell the house in VA first.

G

·
i live in cape st claire also, I have bought both of my kayaks from spring river, i would rather buy from a local shop, especially with kayaks than bp or rei both of which have a bad selection of good kayaks- spring river has a good selection of wilderness systems

·
Registered
401 Posts
Spring River in Rockville is where I got my Tarpon 120. The guys there are great. I live near Bowie, MD and have fished Weems Creek and the Severn River. I have also traveled to Point Lookout to kayak fish.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Since I am new at Kayak fishing, I went with a more experienced kayak angler. The end of the road that leads into Point Lookout State Park, there is a jetti and sandy beach were you can launch the canoe. There are parking spaces and a 24 hour bathroom. You will have to carrie your canoe a across a grassy area to get to the jetti and the beach. There is a sandbar that you can see where you can catch fish. To the right of the sandbar (towards Cornfield Harbor) there is a wreck where we caught black seabass, croaker, spot and porgy. Then you can fish around Cornfield Harbor for plenty of fish too, like croakers.

G

·
I go to school at st marys college of maryland and have fished PLO, but mostls around breakers which means a lot of paddling but also a lot of fast action. Have ran into breakers almost every time I have been there- even some spanish

I tried fishing that bar that extends out from the actual point with no luck. Where is the wreck that you fished?? Sounds like a good spot

Thanks jpfleming

·
Registered
401 Posts
The wrek was to the right of the sandbar infront of the point close to Cornfield Harbor. I got my anchor caught on it a few times. Almost had to cut the rope, but I was able to break free. Do not fish over the wreck. Just fish/jig right on the outside of it. The experience kayaker located the wreck and showed me where to fish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.