Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a place to shoot in Calvert or Anne Arundel counties year round? Preferrably state run (free)Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Myrtle Grove (outside LaPlata) is the only public firng range in sothern MD. It costs 20 dollars a year or 5 dollars a day. Annual Permits can be purchased at any MD license dealer. Daily permits are only sold at Myrtle Grove. It is a 100 yard range and you can shoot large bore rifles. Please use all care and keep it picked up. Many people want to shut it down. I am not sure of the operating hours.

Rockonafly

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I can't believe that the state can not find it in their budget to provide some simple shooting facilities. I'm an avid hunter, but how am I supposed to practice unless I have access to some private land that I can shoot on? What good sportsman would go into the woods not knowing if his gun or bow was sighted in?

FYI, the options in Anne Arundel county are to go to Arundel Fish & Game sportsmens club, which is right off 50 near anglers...or to go to Stoney Creek up in Pasadena.

Both seem to be nice places, but I still don't understand why the state/county can't provide something basic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is not enough support for public ranges. The vocal people are those against any type of shooting area. The current idea out there is to close Myrtle Grove from about March through August. "Hunters do not need that much shooting time only to sight in firearms for deer season." Only some of the the money from the permits makes it back to range. The caretaker is doing what he can but a few "inconsiderate shooters" can end the use of this area.
We need to voice our opinions to the MD DNR and our elected officials. MD is not gun friendly and if we do not act well... that is an old story.

Rockonafly

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your replies. I agree that we should all promote strong ethics in the outdoors, including shooting ranges. It is sad that a few can ruin it for everyone but that is the reality. Thanks, I will look into all the ranges mentioned above.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies. I agree that we should all promote strong ethics in the outdoors, including shooting ranges. It is sad that a few can ruin it for everyone but that is the reality. Thanks, I will look into all the ranges mentioned above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a beautiful new range over in Bowie. It’s not free, but if your looking to go shooting more then once or twice a year it is worth the membership price. It was just re-opened this past August. There are three ranges, 100 yards, 50 yards and 50 foot with ‘eye brows’ and other safety measures to make the range as safe as possible. The 100 yard rifle range currently has 8 well built benches for shooting off of.

The ranges are located behind the Bowie DAV off of 197 a little before racetrack road.

If you have any questions fee free to email me at [email protected]

Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts