Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished OI on 3/31 - Crew was Russ (tail chaser), Howard (HD232) and Larry (scary Larry). Cleared the inlet 5:00 AM headed for the 800 line. Didn't take long to figure out the 67 green water wasn't holding any tuna. Picked up and headed south through some massive pods of dolphins. Stop at the 510 in 71 water and hooked up the first yft for 2007. Spread back out and 2 rods go down and Howard jigged up a third but unfortunately it did not come tight. Howard & Russ were dancing around each other working their fish to the boat when Russ's fish came un-buttoned which was unfortunate because when I sank the gaff in Howard's fish I realized we had our first Big-eye on my Reg and Russ's fish was most likely a Big-eye too. Caught another 2 yft over the rest of the day mixed in with many … many short bites. Just seemed we could not raise the school and get covered up this trip.
Other high lights of the trip was a Humpback whale that breeched 200 yards behind the boat, whale was ¾ the way out of the water.

3 yft (1 15# and 2 30#)
1 Big-eye (bottomed out my 60# boga, guess it was 80#)

Terp great fishing with you, sure glad that your boat whoas was nothing more than cutting your fishing time a little short, but obliviously you made what fishing time you had very productive - wtg.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea Terp would have been a blast to have hung out & watch the games with you & your crew. Russ put out a hell of a spread back at his home; we must have consumed 10 lbs of eyeball sashimi and another 5 lbs of Russ's famous fire-cracker tuna which a few beverages were consumed to put out the fire.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Crew was fun to fish with & there's plenty of tuna left even after eating sashimi the last 2 nights in a row.

Those big eye loins are huge !

Might try blackened sashimi tonight .....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Russ,

I fired up the Green Egg to about 750 coated Bigeye steaks with butter & than blackening seasoning. Cooked 120 seconds per side. Wife said I can go fishin again.

Thanks again for putting us up for the night.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thanks for the trip Tony and Russ on letting us crash at your house.Just finished some sushami for lunch. Life is good:clapping2:

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Congrats

Man, thats great!!:bigfish: My favorite fish that swims. Bet that Eye was awesome in the Green Egg. Glad you guys picked Sat. Talked to Lee & he said the bite went straight downhill as the water changed Sun. They have had to bottom drop just to scratch out a catch since Sun.:eek:

Looks like the 1 thing I didn't rebuild may just turn out to be the reason I did the snd engine afterall. The injector pump is keeping me from running strong so it's in the shop this week for re-install next weekend. Hopefully this will end the wrench fest for a long time to come.:clapping2:

I'm not saying I regret doing the snd motor since now both will be all new & sweet + it allowed access to other stuff that needed attention. I just now realize that I might have been able to go another season or so. Either way, I'm on the home strech now & both port & starboard engines will be completly fresh Incl pumps,turbos,injectors so with regular use & maintenance, she should hold tough for many seasons to come (knock on wood);-) . Seems all the problems I've had have been a direct result from the previous owner just not running & maintaining the boat enough. It's amazing just how many boats are listed in Yachtworld that mention re-power (at) fairly low hrs. It's because of lack of use more often than not. The reason you hear of guys getting 10-20000 thousand hrs out of a engine is because anybody that sees those hrs has time to run there boats daily. That's what Diesels like.

I will hope for 5,000 whice should be around 8 to 10 years if I keep to an average of 30-35 trips per season.

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL SOON:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Russ I will be around this evening if you need to drop off a few tuna steaks. Great catch. We had some real nice fish sat but it wasn't gaffable. Nice work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts