Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a lottery ticket tonight. This has been one hell of a season for me. Few weeks ago I arrowed a 130 class 9 pointer and this past Saturday I knocked down another. This one, a 10 pointer. Both in Brunswick County about 3 miles apart. I hunt with two clubs; Headquarter Hunt Club and Loansome Three Hunt Club. I killed this one with a shotgun during the morning hunt with a single dog about 5 minutes behind it.

The look in his face after jumping a creek then slamming on the brakes when he saw me standing 30 feet from him with an 1100 pointing at him was one I won't soon forget.

Here's a picture of the 9-pointer during bow season.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
id buy a lottery ticket for every state you can get to ....way to go , both very nice deer ,....congradulations:clap::clap::clap::clapping2::clapping2::clapping2::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
So your comments state he had a single dog behind him? Can you hunt deer in your state with dogs?
From the looks of the truck he is a dog hunter. What state can't you hunt with dogs? I saw another post about baiting with corn being legal where someone hunted. Where is that legal? Weird differences in rules from state to state.

Great deer but can I not count?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
From the looks of the truck he is a dog hunter. What state can't you hunt with dogs? I saw another post about baiting with corn being legal where someone hunted. Where is that legal? Weird differences in rules from state to state.

Great deer but can I not count?
NY state has no deer hunting with dogs. If a pooch is chasing deer in our area, and as in most, it's gonna get some lead slung at it. Personally, that hasn't happened to me. Just the wild ones...coyotes.

BTW, nice deer Bret!!:thumbup: You shot your wad now. I see only spikers and scrub racks in your hunting future.:))

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Holy sh:eek2: what a year ... congrats on a great year. We've had a record breaking year for scrub bucks on our land this year, I'm hoping a couple make it through the gauntlet season so they can grow some horns like those.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From the looks of the truck he is a dog hunter. What state can't you hunt with dogs? I saw another p

I hunt in Delaware and it is illegal here to hunt deer with dogs but we are allowed to bait on private property. From what I hear that may be up for review as well because of the possibility of CWD since it is spread from nose to nose contact.
Great deer man, just after 20+ years of archery hunting i have never heard of anyone hunting deer with dogs.
Here you either have birds or rabbits.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

Thanks for all the nice comments. This buck has a 20" inside spread. The 9-pointer from bow season was just over 21 inches inside. Yes, this is a dog club. I'm a new member this year. As a matter of fact, this was just my second time hunting with them. I've always been in still hunting clubs. My other club is just a few miles down the road from this one. Pretty convenient actually.

As for your counting, yes, I'm sure you can count just fine. I'm saying 10-pointer because he has a split brow(?) tine on his right side. Either way, 9 or 10-pointer, he's going to make a fine mount. The 9-pointer also looks like an 8 but that's because he has a 3" kicker coming straight off the back of his right antler near the base. You might be able to pick it out from this picture.

Don, I'm sure I'll be lucky to see spikes and does for the next year or so. Lord knows I've let a bunch walk this year.

Any way, thanks again. I'm going to look into the procedure for entering the bow season 9-pointer in the Virginia Big Game Contest for this year. Should do well in the bow hunting category.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I bet your Taxidermist is a happy guy right now.:yes:

Congrats on the nice bucks and great season Bret. Have you talked to Bill (Usual Suspects) lately? I haven't seen or heard from him and he hasn't been at a club meeting for a while either. Hope he is OK and just busy.

Keith

1 - 18 of 18 Posts