Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like every year I catch something in the Rapp that I havn't seen in many years of fishing there. This guy (see photo) was about 3lbs and has Toad looking characteristics. It has hard thorns all over and big ol frog looking eyes. Mouth is very similar to an oyster toad. Any help with identification would be appreciated. Last year TF users were a big help identifying a Ribbon fish which was also a first for me. Oh yeah....We also caught our first keeper flounder this year drifting a minnow around Sturgeon bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wow .... really odd ... has the signature of a puffer with those thorns .... but nothing like the common puffers you see in the Bay. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Yery cool! We call them porcupine puffers. Have only seen 3 in 50 yrs- from the bay. Last one I saw from bay, was caught in cut channel 10 yrs ago ( common in Aquarium trade)

·
Registered
328 Posts
How about a Striped Burrfish ... in the puffer family. Also referred to as Porcupinefish, Spiney Boxfish, which is slightly in error as Boxfish are Family Ostraciidae, it should really be called a spiney puffer instead. Spines are thick and sturdy. Above striped black/brown wavy lines on green-brown, belly offwhite or golden yellow. Dark spots at dorsal and anal fine bases and above/behinde the pectoral fin base. Single tooth forming beakshaped mouth. No pelvic fins. Feeds on soft foods like bits of worm, small shrimp, etc. Found in shallow bay areas during summer, wintering in deeper waters. Ranges: Western Atlantic: from Nova Scotia (Canada), Maine (USA), Bahamas, and northern Gulf of Mexico to Brazil. Very uncommon north of the Carolinas, it was a surprise to catch this specimen. Puffs up just like our regular blowfish.

Found a decent description from this site: http://www.scottsbt.com/fishids/idrare/burrfish.htm. Also check this site out: http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldguide/critter/striped_burrfish

·
Registered
328 Posts
None have been brought up in our VMRC six species catch and release tournaments ... I end up seeing a lot of stuff that needs to be adjudicated as being a different species from the angler's previous catches. I'm considering working with our software guys to provide an automated tool to ID fish, much like facial recognition.

We are in the process of putting up a live leaderboard for this VMRC tournament ... with the ability for the Jr. and Special Anglers to self enroll the catches .... and then let the software figure out (or make a best guess) as to the species. Take a look at my recent post about the Leopard vs. the Northern Sea Robins. Two different sites report them exactly opposite of one another, i.e., the one shows a picture of the Leopard while the other site shows the Northern for the same picture. VMRC and Calvert Museum report it exactly opposite of one another.

I would love to see VIMS monitor all this Fish ID traffic and jump in once in while and help us out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ken,

This fish is a beauty. Take a look at this version in the water. I wonder if it is like a chameleon in that it changes it's colors based on its environment. By any chance, did you notice the yellow coloring when you first pulled it out of the water?

Water Natural environment Underwater Organism lionfish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts