Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys are probably tired of entertaing this question, but do you use chin weights on your ballyhoo? Do any of your baits skip? If you use sea-witches, do you send them underwater or keep them skipping? Is it worth putting out a green machine bird combo out? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I use chin weights on nakeds and witches. Chin weights won't cause any bait to run any deeper. With an estimated trolling speed of 6+ knots, most all baits will skip.... some more than others. At any rate, that's good. But run a bait or two down if the action on top is not showing. Planers, in-lines, etc. for 1 or 2 baits has saved the day more than once. Green machines..... you either hate 'em or love 'em. Seems the farther south you go, the less they're used.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use chin weights on nakeds and witches. Chin weights won't cause any bait to run any deeper. With an estimated trolling speed of 6+ knots, most all baits will skip.... some more than others. At any rate, that's good. But run a bait or two down if the action on top is not showing. Planers, in-lines, etc. for 1 or 2 baits has saved the day more than once. Green machines..... you either hate 'em or love 'em. Seems the farther south you go, the less they're used.
Thanks Tom.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
use more weight when the seas are heavy. 4-6 if its flat calm you will need less or no weight. Green machine bar is my first choice over the bird this time of year but the green machine bird hasd been tested in many waters.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I use chin weights on all my tuna rigs. I also like the bird/GM but don't run it religiously. But it does get the not quite ofthen. I prefer it down the middle but not as far back as most run it. Maybe just outside the wake pattern. I Us the Bird/GM when hunting rather then when fishing a bait ball. Reason is when I am fishing a bait ball I will tend to slow down quite a bit and work a tight circle around the ball. This will make the bird sit still on the water. No good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i also use chin weights all the time, as far as the bird and green machine i always pull one, seems if things are slow it always gets hit, have recently been pulling a blue/white mini bar off the riggers with good success, one year we caught 4 wahoo off carolina with the bird and green machine, with mono leader!!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Chin Weights?

HI:
I don't use vhin weights. I tow all plastics for pelagics. Lots of reasons why I do that.

Down here in Fla and south , we use a "GM" type lure in the spread. I make & sell my own . You can great ones from guys who know the business. YOu should have at least one plastic (big n long)in your spread for the fish who want something with shoulders to entice the currious fish into hitting . LOTS OD TIMES, that "GM" will draw fish up into your spread AND THOSE FISH WILL HIT THE MEAT YOUR TOWING.

WACKM N STACKM
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

·
Registered
314 Posts
...Chin weights won't cause any bait to run any deeper. With an estimated trolling speed of 6+ knots, most all baits will skip.... some more than others....
speak for yourself :nono:

A well rigged ballyhoo with 1/2 oz. chin weight, 9/0 hook, 80-130 lbs leader, and 1/2 oz. seawitch can be made to swim well. & will get more bites when swimming rather than skipping....most of the time.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
speak for yourself :nono:

A well rigged ballyhoo with 1/2 oz. chin weight, 9/0 hook, 80-130 lbs leader, and 1/2 oz. seawitch can be made to swim well. & will get more bites when swimming rather than skipping....most of the time.
Missed that one jeff. You are absolutetly correct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts