Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been unable to get out fishing since the Spot began migrating south, and judging from the reports I'd been reading on here I decided a trip to Marty's was necessary to invest in some Ltjing gear and trolling gear. My father came down from PA to fish for the weekend and we both wanted to make sure we were not only going to get on fish but get them in the boat over the course of the weekend. So, after spending as much of our paychecks as we deemed necessary, we decided to head out to the mouth of the Eastern Bay where Jim had said he'd seen a lot of action the day before.

On the way out from the Rhode River we decided to stop at the #1 to see if we couldn't find any spot. We tried for about 30-45 min, and while could find plenty of marks, but all we could manage to bring in the boat were perch. So we decided to get out the trolling gear and head over to BPL.

This was my first experience trolling from my boat and knew from the start it would be a learning experience. We drove around for a good hour and a half making an S shaped pattern with 2 tandem bucktail rigs, a rattletrap, and an umbrella rig. Finally we had a takedown or a snag in about 50ft of water. My dad began reeling it in while I kept driving and the rod appeared to be moving as it would with a fish but when he got it closer to the boat the rod went limp, so either our first fish got off or we'd snagged something. While he was reeling his in, we had another takedown on an umbrella, but untill I could get to the rod it too was limp. So disheartened we were feeding the lines back out when we saw some bird action both south of the lighthouse and by bpl.

We headed over to BPL and began Ltjing with silver stingsilvers where we ran into a few of these
View attachment 12523
we played around with them for a while to see if we could find some size, but decided to head over to the masses to see what all the commotion was about. Saw fellow Tfers onefish and joemassi.

Within minutes both my father and I were hooked up using stingsilvers first a 24" View attachment 12526
then a 19"
View attachment 12524
then a few more in the 18-19" range then a 22."
View attachment 12525

We played around until sunlight ran out and went home. Hopefully next time we'll have some success trolling, but i'd be more than satisfied running into topwater action like that again.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Nice post. Glad to see you got your dad into some fish. I am sure you had a fish on while trolling in 50 feet. Not much to snag that deep except for an occassional crab pot (which of course you would have known that you had a snag.......been there done that.......twice!) If you are trolling another day and seem to have an unusual number of "knockdowns" but not "hookups", you may want to try speeding up just a touch. That will sometimes incease your hookup percentage. Good luck..............................Mark

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Andy, you did not tell me that was your Dad! It was nice fishing with you.

See you at the dock.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hi Andy,

You're the ones in the hurricane boat right?/

I apologize...I was suppose to call you on 68 and forgot to. I'm sorry.

I saw you over in the fleet getting the feesh, that's when I remembered. ooppps
Welcome aboard.:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
onefish,

No worries, I was over there trolling around and am just as guilty for not giving you a shout on the radio. We both made it on the fish, and thats all that counts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Andy i was next to you a few times on saturday. I had my wife and son with me. I saw you and your dad catching non stop:thumbup: My biggest fish was about 26 inches that day. Hope to see you out there soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts