Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished yesterday in the lower Chesapeake Bay with sage Cobia guide, Jorj Head, his mate Ken along with Virginian TF members Josh & Ray. Speaking of Rays, we didn't see a one. Swimming on the surface instead this time, were Blue Crabs, riding the incoming tide up the Bay. Remember the days when you could dip a Bushel of skimmer crabs from the surface almost anywhere in the Upper Bay with just a dip net in September? Anyways, the weather was windy,3ft. seas and cloudy. Not the best conditions for sight casting for Mr. C. The first few hours ,there were none to be seen. The day before, Jorj & Ken saw 30 in the same area. Jorj & Ken are very confident, patient, and calm. Mild mannered gentlemen. Finally they spotted a Cobia. The fish swam quickly towards the boat after intercepting the bait and spit the hook before a good set could be made. More time passes before anymore are seen. By days end, we hooked 5, boated 4 and kept 3 in the 40 something inch range.Considering the conditions, we did well. All fish are caught on typical Bass size spinning tackle with 50# braid. The ultimate LT experience.. Sight casting on days like this are very tedious . Staring at the water surface for hours on end hoping to see a shadow or tell tale signs of a Cobia are very eye straining and on slow days are monotonous. There's more to it than just installing a Cobia tower on your boat. Some fishermen believe that a Cobia tower means "instant success" Not. It takes trained eyes that come with time on the water. Some are never able to acquire this attribute, a good pair of polarized sunglasses , knowing where and when to look for Cobia at different locations that can change overnight,patience, skill, proper equipment and luck never hurts. It's by far the most challenging fishery we have in the Chesapeake Bay ,The Cobia Capital on the East Coast. We didn't have enough time left to sample the Flounder fishing. Jorj & Ken have been catching upwards to 50 Flounder a day, with limits from 16-22 inches average and some to 5 or more #. Don't expect to do this on your own.I enjoyed the trip with TFrs Josh & Ray. I wouldn't hesitate to book another trip with Jorj & Ken. Jorj tags and releases all fish that are released and uses a net vs a gaff unless the fish is too big to net as should everyone else who fishes for Cobia. There's no sense in bloodying up your deck for no reason and it's dangerous. I'll be back. I took some pics, but am having trouble with my computer downloading them.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
I fished yesterday in the lower Chesapeake Bay with sage Cobia guide, Jorj Head, his mate Ken along with Virginian TF members Josh & Ray. Speaking of Rays, we didn't see a one. Swimming on the surface instead this time, were Blue Crabs, riding the incoming tide up the Bay. Remember the days when you could dip a Bushel of skimmer crabs from the surface almost anywhere in the Upper Bay with just a dip net in September? Anyways, the weather was windy,3ft. seas and cloudy. Not the best conditions for sight casting for Mr. C. The first few hours ,there were none to be seen. The day before, Jorj & Ken saw 30 in the same area. Jorj & Ken are very confident, patient, and calm. Mild mannered gentlemen. Finally they spotted a Cobia. The fish swam quickly towards the boat after intercepting the bait and spit the hook before a good set could be made. More time passes before anymore are seen. By days end, we hooked 5, boated 4 and kept 3 in the 40 something inch range.Considering the conditions, we did well. Sight casting on days like this are very tedious . Staring at the water surface for hours on end hoping to see a shadow or tell tale signs of a Cobia are very eye straining and on slow days are monotonous. There's more to it than just installing a Cobia tower on your boat. Some fishermen believe that a Cobia tower means "instant success" Not. It takes trained eyes that come with time on the water. Some are never able to acquire this attribute, a good pair of polarized sunglasses , knowing where and when to look for Cobia at different locations that can change overnight,patience, skill, proper equipment and luck never hurts. It's by far the most challenging fishery we have in the Chesapeake Bay ,The Cobia Capital on the East Coast. We didn't have enough time left to sample the Flounder fishing. Jorj & Ken have been catching upwards to 50 Flounder a day, with limits from 16-22 inches average and some to 5 or more #. Don't expect to do this on your own.I enjoyed the trip with TFrs Josh & Ray. I wouldn't hesitate to book another trip with Jorj & Ken. Jorj tags and releases all fish that are released and uses a net vs a gaff unless the fish is too big to net as should everyone else who fishes for Cobia. There's no sense in bloodying up your deck for no reason and it's dangerous. I'll be back. I took some pics, but am having trouble with my computer downloading them.
It's always good to take chum for cloudy days. Sounds like you had a great time....... Gary

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's always good to take chum for cloudy days. Sounds like you had a great time....... Gary
Absolutely.We wanted to do it the hardway.We saw around 7 boats chumming.1 boat back at the dock had 1 fish while chumming. It was around 5 ft. a long,thin fish and weighed in at 57 #.The fishermen said they were so excited after landing it they called it a day and came in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts