Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you arn't interested in the usual play-by-play, here is the pertinent info that most of you are interested in:

November 23rd, 2008. Fishing out of Solomons. Fished about halfway between buoys 76 and 72A. Trolled the channel edges. Marked a fair amount of bait. 1st line in water by 7:45. Fished till 2pm. Caught 5 fish, had 2 other knockdowns. Biggest was 42 inches. 6 bites on board lines. 1 bite on boat rod. Of the fish caught, 4 bit on white and 1 on chartruese. Lots of boat out, weather was great.

Ok, here is the play by play. I saw the weather was going to be good Sunday, and really wanted to fish. I had not yet been out this fall. My usual fishing buddy, Paul, had planned to go with me, but fell off a ladder at work the day before and had to cancel. He was layed up in bed. I made some phone calls to some of my other fishing buddies, but none of them could go. Much to my surprise....my girlfriend, Sarah, said she would like to go. (I thought to myself, this has the potential to be a complete disaster in several different ways.) I tried to explain to her that the trip would be cold, miserable, possible seasickness, and we may not even catch a fish...but she still wanted to go. I was desperate to fish, so I agreed. We loaded up the boat and left Martinsburg, WV at 3 a.m. for the almost 3 hour drive to Solomons.

Got the boat launched and headed in the direction of 72A. About halfway there I was marking a little bait, and was tired of running and anxious to start fishing, so I pulled up and started setting lines. Sarah did a good job of steering the boat straight while I set my boards out and my 14 rod spread. About 20 minutes later, had a knockdown that didn't come tight. I was glad for the action. At around 8:45 Sarah was driving and I saw a big blob of bait on my fish finder. I pointed that out to her, and started explaining to her that that's what we are looking for, and how the big fish are found hanging around the schools of little fish. I barely had the words out of my mouth when a fish hit the deep boat rod and started taking line. Fish on! I put the rod in Sarah's hand and she cranked in her first rockfish ever. 42inches and 27 pounds. After we landed the fish and snapped a few pics and got the rod back in the water, I circled the boat around to make another pass at the bait blob. I looked back at my lines to see my port planer board being pulled behind the boat. (that's odd, I thought...why isn't it pulling right?) Then I noticed the unmistakable jerking on the line, and realized there was a fish on that hadn't popped the mono out of the scotty clip. I yanked on the line, but couldn't get it to pop either. Have no idea why it was stuck, but I reeled it in, unclipped it, then reeled in the fish. It was a nice 38, hit a 4 oz tandem white chute. Success!! We had our limit of big ones, and played catch and release the rest of the day. Ended up catching 3 more. The action slowed around 12 noon, when the water got slick calm and the sun was shining. All in all, it was a great day. Sarah had a great time and did great on her first striper trip. We made it back to Martinsburg by 9 pm after washing the boat and putting away the rods and tackle. Put the Rock on good ice and would clean them tomorrow. I was exhausted, and was asleep in a few short minutes. No time to make a timely TF report, because the next morning was opening day of buck season here in WV! I was up and at it again at 5 AM, put the gun in the truck and went to a local farm. Saw nothing in the morning but shot a 6 point buck in the afternoon. Brought him home and thought, now I have a deer and 2 trophy rockfish both in the back of my truck at the same time....how often does that happen? Needless to say, its been two great days back to back. Cleaned the rockfish last night (they were still ice cold in the fish bag) and found there bellies stuffed with 2 whole menhaden each. The 42 inch rock not only had 2 menhaden in her belly, but an eel as well! What a bunch of pigs! Their bellies were stuffed and they still wanted my 9 inch shad!!!

I hope this fishing keeps up for through december. I will try to post some pics below.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Hey Tim, we fished out of Skips boat together last winter. Good to see your post and congrats on your success. Liked the play by play better:thumbup:
Thanks for the report

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Paul! Yeah, I remember. Good to hear from you. That was around mid-december with Skip out of PLO. I hope the fishing has been treating you well this year.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very cool reports and pictures- and you're right, that's 1 heckuva 2 days! I work in Martinsburg- that's gotta be 1 helluva tow to Solomon's at o'dark thirty. I'm sure you know this, but i'd say that any GF that gets up at that hour to go fishing in the cold is a keeper!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Nice report :thumbup: - looks like you got three keepers- two fish and one sweet lady :clapping2:.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts