Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking out the out of towners today. Anywhere been hot the last couple of days? What tide has been best? Little help please!

·
Registered
211 Posts
On incoming, work the rocks on the island. Get your storms to the edge and work them down the shelf. On outgoing, if they aren't breaking on top, work the inside of the bay span deep. Any dark color storm will work from 4-8 inches long. Cast 3-10 feet in front of the light line and reel so the hooks stay in the line.

Caught our limit everytime within 10 minutes. 20-22 inches.

GL

Jeff

·
Registered
211 Posts
Anything at this point will probably work. Some colors will work a lot better. I changed to a white bucktail w/6 inch white worm. It did ok but without a doubt, the brown with black marks storm of any size got hits everytime if not a fish. I went to larger sizes hoping for larger fish. I think the smaller fish just couldn't get their to the hook. Eitherway, it worked for the intended result.

Jkapl, if you want to head out to the James River, give me a call and we can share what we know. I will be back in town Saturday night. Would love to go out Sunday or Monday night.

Jeff C.
757-593-3478

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice on the HRBT for Friday night. Everyone had a good time. We landed about 20-25 fish in 2 hours. We had a lot more bites and lost fish. The out of towners had a ball and so did I. The gold and gray storms paid dividends. We had one fish under 18 the whole time. We kept 8 fat ones in the 20-22 inch range. I hope to post a picture later. Again thanks.:clapping2:

·
Registered
252 Posts
The gulp baits on a 3/8 oz jighead have always produced the best for me at the HRBT. I cant remember the name of the bait but it is chartreus with a white belly on a chartreus jighead.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just dont see the sense in keeping such barely legal fish. Can't be any meat on them.
To each their own. Not everyone is interested in keeping 40 and 50 lb fish. For a small boat/pier/surf fisher schoolies are about all you can get. I have kept and fileted many a 20-25 inch Striper and their is plenty of meat to feed the family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts