Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wind forecast, current/tide prediction, and an empty honey-do list all suggest I should hit the Severn on Sunday. I was thinking of launching the yak from Jonas Green Park. Has anyone been fishing around there lately?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bill,
I don't know that area at all.
I am planning to fish for one big striper on Sunday in deep water off Breezy Point or PLO. If wind is too strong I will try ST. Jerome's Creek or Solomons Island. For me, this Sunday may be the last trip to the upper/mid Chesapeake Bay for this year. Good Luck.

Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like to join your hunt for big stripers, but I'm not satisfied with my current cold water gear set, at least not for big, open water. Anyway, I hope you get one.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bill,
have you fished ST. Jerome's creek in November? I am wondering the creek holds schoolies in december. Last October when I fished the creek, I thought the creek would hold schoolies in November and possibly in the beginning of December.

Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fished St. Jerome's only until the end of October last year, which was much warmer, so I don't know how productive it'll be. You can give Mike and Christy a call, and they might be able to tell you if the creek is worth hitting or not. Their number is 301-872-5887.

The wind forecast for tomorrow keeps going up. I might hit the Nanjemoy for pickerel instead of the Severn because it looks a little more protected and will probably have less traffic on it. Plus, I haven't fished the Nanjemoy yet. Though, the marine forecast for the Bay Bridge is west at 10kt, waves 1ft, which is tempting.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Bill, I know a few guys have been catching pickerel in the Severn. I plan on hitting the Magothy tomorrow. I plan on meeting a friend a Ferry Point Marina at 12PM and we are fishing until about 4PM. You're welcome to join us. We will be in a white canoe.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rod--I didn't see your reply until this morning, but thanks for the offer. I hit the Nanjemoy yesterday. I didn't catch much, but it was a good scouting run for perch fishing in the spring. How'd you guys do?

Any luck, Joe?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Bill, you didn't miss much on the Magothy. We hit 2 different creeks. One of the creeks was mostly covered with skim ice. My buddy caught one 22" pickerel and I got skunked! I'm thinking the cooler temps on Friday\Saturday may have put the pickerel in a lethargic mode or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Based on the very few fall pickerel fishing experiences I've had, it seems like that pattern this time of the year is different from the January/February pattern. I haven't figured it out yet. I agree that front didn't help things, and I was surprised that I only found ice in a couple of spots on the Nanjemoy.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I fished off Breezy Point marina on Sunday. The weather was perfect. I executed my plans. But I got skunked. The marina was busy. For the first time I had to wait in the line to launch the kayak. When I came back, I saw big stripers on every boat (about 10-12) that came in. Good days for the boaters. I learned a lesson. i am not going to bother with big stripers any more. It was too hard for kayakers in cold days especially fish weren't near the shore. Next year, I will stay near the shore for schoolies. If I really want to catch a big one, I will go to Kiptopeke or HRBT. I drive two plus hours more for one way to get there but I save time on paddling time at Kiptopeke and HRBT. I am trying to hit Kiptopeke or HRBT on the first or second weekend in December.

Joe

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hear about your skunk. I was wondering what the wind/seas were like out on the Bay as I fooled around on the Nanjemoy. Boaters are also getting big stripers around the Bay Bridge, but I don't know how doable that is from a kayak this time of the year. I thought about hitting the Bay Bridge on Sunday because the waves were forecasted to be around a foot, but I didn't feel like dealing with a bunch of boat traffic on top of the car traffic getting there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts