Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard today that several OUPV (6 pack) classes scheduled to start in about 2 weeks were cancelled due to no instructor.

If you are interested in making some money and helping a few people get trained, give TCC Center for Workforce Solutions a call at 757-822-1234.

They told me they are looking for an instructor. If they get an instructor they will reschedule the classes.

The classes were scheduled for the Va. Beach Campus. I do not know what criteria they are looking for but I would think someone who is already a qualified Charter Captain would make a good candidate.

I now 1 class was for 1 week of 8 hour days, 1-25 thru 2-1 from 8 am to 5 pm, and the other class was 2-3 thru 4-7, 3 hours a night twice a week for 2 months.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told that this was one of the hardest test they ever took and I should read the Coast Guard Navigation Rules of the Road before I go to class.

Anyone who wants to be a better boater, go to this link to read it (it is close to 200 pages) during their down time waiting for warmer days. I know after reading it I learned a lot. http://navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent

If you want to take the class I was told that you need to be put on the waiting list, give them a call at TCC Center for Workforce Solutions a call at 757-822-1234.

I was also told you will need to know plot a course on a map. I bought some flash cards on what different lights on ships and buoys mean (there are a lot of them).

Also my son has a friend who got his Captains License last year and even though he has a college degree, he said that was the hardest test he ever took, (he took a 2 week course). I think a twice a week class for 2 months will give you time to study between off days.

Finally I was told if you pass their course you do not need to take the Coast Guard exam.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
There is a lot to learn and study for but if you have a good instructor as I did, you can get through it. Everyone takes the USCG exam. Some courses are authorized to administer the USCG exam at the end of the course but it's the same exam as in the USCG center. Yes a map is for land, a chart is for water. Here is a little blog I wrote on the subject.

So you want to be a Captain.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a lot to learn and study for but if you have a good instructor as I did, you can get through it. Everyone takes the USCG exam. Some courses are authorized to administer the USCG exam at the end of the course but it's the same exam as in the USCG center. Yes a map is for land, a chart is for water. Here is a little blog I wrote on the subject.

So you want to be a Captain.
Great blog Captain Mike, what a crazy amount of training, rules and regulations a Charter Captain has to know and follow just to take customers out to fish. After reading your blog, I take my hat of to you guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts