Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for 4 combos that would suit trolling but also work for summer time trolling for smaller fish like Spanish and Bluefish. Do not want the penn 330 and really like the Penn 320LD but they are fairly expensive when you have to buy 4. and I already have 6 tld 25 on 30-80 class. Have any of you guys experienced the penn 220. Looks like a smaller reel, affordable, and penn claims that they handle rock for trolling?????????

Frank
"Skirtchaser"

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey frank,

been fishing with the penn 220 for about 4 years now during spring, summer and fall. they work fine. good quality rods. never had a problem. however we have upgraded to the 330 gti to mix in with the 220's for the spring when we purchased the new boat. going to give them a try.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The Penn 220 is a nice reel and will serve you well but I wouldn't put anything more on it then tandem rigs, which catch well. If your going to be pulling umbrellas I would recommend at least a 330 or something similar.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just bought the 230 combo and it seems to be a good balance between the 220 and 330. I had the same concerns about wanting a reel that wouldn't be oversized for the summerh. I got the combos for 79.00 each - a 230 reel and 6 ft rod from a supplier in Fl. Delivered to my house in about 5 days.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Told him so.....

Know a guy who asked me the same ?. I told him to get the 330 he didnt listen and got the 220:nono: . Hooked a slop and she took his 8o lb. Power Pro then took the gears from the reel. He now has the 330.:clapping2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts