Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about finished with the construction of my new detached garage. I've got it set up pretty good, but I need some help on ideas for rod storage. I have a wall that I'd like to build a rod rack on, but just don't have much of an idea as to what design I'd like. I would love to have some feedback/comments, etc. on what you guys have done. I probably have around 30 rods, including some big offshore stuff. If you think your design works well, I could use a picture or two. Maybe now that I am done, I can get out there and catch some fish for a change. Thanks in advance.

Carey

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
just a suggestion, maybe put an overhead rack in. walls always seem to get used by something.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't have pictures, but I made racks for about 30 rods using 1 1/2" PVC mounted to the overhead rafters in my shed (lots of older head boats do this). You basically just cut the PVC into sections about 3 inches long, drill about a 1/2 inch hole on one side of the pipe and a smaller hole on the other side. When you mount the PVC to the overhead rafter you insert the screw into the center of the pipe, turn it sideways so the screw is sticking thru the small hole and insert a screwdriver (or screwgun) thru the big hole to screw it to the rafter. Thats for the butt of the rod holders. For the other end, you do the same thing, except you also cut a slot along the length of the pipe so you can slide the rod thru the slot. Hope that makes some sense - the shed I did that to was in Key Largo, so I can't exactly take pictures! Not real pretty, but cheap, effective and keeps them out of the way.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I use bicycle hooks that screw inio the ceiling joices. I have the entire top of my garage covered (approx 80 rods). These are the rubber coated hooks you get at home depot for about a buck a piece. Keeps them out of the way and clear of other activities.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
You might want to post your location. That way those of us in your area could invite you over to see what we have devised for storing our rods and reels. I have a wall mount rack for 15 outfits, which I am using at present, and a ceiling mounted rack for the 15 rods and reels that are used during the spring and summer fishing periods.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really don't want to hang my rods on the ceiling. My garage is finished off, the joists are covered. I would like to position my rods vertically on a wall.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here's what Iv'e got going on in my garage. It is located above the garage door when it's open. Good use of otherwise wasted space. My ceiling is also finished off. It is 3/4 PVC pipe and metal flanges screwed to the ceiling joists.

·
Registered
406 Posts
edit - i didn't read your earlier post about not wanting ceiling mount... i'll take a pic of my wall mounts when i get a minute or stop by sometime... you can still use track system below vertically and move the spacing between rods with bigger reels...

Carey - Hope all is well... After seeing alot of peoples storage setups and running out of wall space in my garage the following ceiling mount unit is hard to beat and pretty sweet because you can stagger the rods both directions and really pack alot into a small area.... I plan to move some of mine to the ceiling soon as I've run out of wall space... I'll have to drop in and check out the new garage... I think you were ready for some more man cave space...
My favorite ceiling mount available everywhere (most tackle shops even some walmarts)...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19EXN7G7GT7EHA0242K8

Similar less expensive option...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HYG986KKNRNT6XPN8Q7

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
for wall mount, try same the PVC trick--mount a series of short sections to stick the rod butt in. You could even do two banks of them, one in front of the other, but the back one higher than the front so the reels will not conflict.

Pick a spot that doesn't get a lot of direct sunlight

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Jason, stop by anytime. I've got it hooked up in there. I'll have a cold beer waiting for you.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Here is a vertical rack I built for my rods in the boat garage. Built out of 1x4 pine, drilled 2" holes in the bottom piece and 1" holes in the top piece. Then with jigsaw made an offset angle cut to the 1" hole for the top of the rod to slide into. Routed the holes, and a few 90* angle brackets and finished with varnish coat. Works for me!

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I mounted 9" sections of 1.5" PVC every 6" on a 2"x6"x16' board and then screwed the whole assembly to the studs about waist height on one side of my detached garage. I drilled 2 holes 1/8" in diameter about 4" apart completely through each section of PVC and then drilled both holes on one side large enough for the screw heads. With an extension for a phillips bit in the cordless drill, it was quick and easy to attach the PVC through the larger holes to the long board using 1.5" deck screws. Since some of my rigs are for freshwater and I've added more rigs to the collection since building the rack, I plan to add some additional PVC sections between the freshwater rigs since they don't require as much spacing as the bigger saltwater rigs.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
fish magician I like your lure net also--a good way to hang a lot of lures. I suppose a section of hardware cloth would work well, too, and fewer snags from the barbs.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here is a vertical rack I built for my rods in the boat garage. Built out of 1x4 pine, drilled 2" holes in the bottom piece and 1" holes in the top piece. Then with jigsaw made an offset angle cut to the 1" hole for the top of the rod to slide into. Routed the holes, and a few 90* angle brackets and finished with varnish coat. Works for me!
Very Impressive!! You boat has a nice home.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
This is my ceiling rack, but built similar to FishinMagician's rack. A little bigger pic, so you can see the cut. for the rod tip. You can cut straight into the rod tip hole, and use a latch of some sort.

This floor rack has come in handy too:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rod storage

1.5 pvc pipe 12" long mounted on 2- 1x4's and 1.5" pipe strap 9" apart (or more if big reels) see pic

Pick up everything at Lowes or Home Depot:yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Rod Stewart looks awesome!

I have lots of rod and limited wall space, so having the rods 2 or 3 deep is very desirable! I also like the fact that you don't need an upper support, they just stand straight. Thanks for posting that, Frito.

-TH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts