Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting it since I live in the boonies and I'm sick of this dial up .
Anyone have Wild blue oe Hughes net. Is it worth it.Woudd you recomend it?
Which one is best?
Hopeing for some pro's and cons.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We tried wild blue for one of our offices at work and it was worse then hughes was. Seems like both providers have as much down time as uptime. do yourself a favor and pray every night for real broad band to come to your area.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Where in the boonies are you located? Can't view your profile. Just general area.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all ! Live in Prince George County Va.. Think I'll check on the Broad band since I live in between 2 towers.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I was planning on getting the NET at the cabin in WV but now.... What was the cost and problems with hughs net?? How did you resolve the issues??
Thanks in advance

TED

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have the Broadband on my Company truck computer and it great. Not DSL but lots quicker than dial up. Has worked every time. Many times Cell won't work but the Broadband does. Highly recommended.
LBubba

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trying to find out from Sprint and Verizon if I have broadband available where I live.No response to emails yet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
With Verizon, I'm pretty sure that you can go on line to their site and on there somewhere they will be showing info about their different services. If I remember right, once you get into the broadband area, there will be a box to put in your phone number to see if the service is available in your area.

Never dealt with Sprint so I don't know about them, but I would try their site and poke around to see if they had the same type of setup.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that reply Ireops.
I've been on Verizon and Sprint websites.
I've looked at Verizons service area map but can not zoom in close enough to determine wheter I can get sevice or not and have sent them an email again but no reply yet.
Same with sprint sent email again also.No reply yet. Still waiting in the boonies and surfing on the snail line .:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Seems like Verizon is not too keen on replying to inquiries about broadband. I get relatively good Verizon signal for cell phone for the location I am interested in, but I don't want to shell out for a card and contract until I am sure I can get reliable broadband service. They have not replied to an email request from a couple of weeks ago.

I was hoping to use Bay Broadband Wireless, but their technician was unable to get a good signal even using their best antenna in death-defying antics on my roof. Their service is available a couple of miles away, but I am in some sort of signal shadow for their antenna system, and it isn't worth it for them to add an antenna. It does sort of suck to be in an area where dialup might be the only viable option.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am actually not far from downtown baltimore but both Verizon and Comcast don't come to our area (we are in Stevenson) Anyways, I borrowed my brothers Air card (you can get them from verizon wireless stores) As long as you have verizon wireless cell service, you will get internet. It is not as fast as broadband, but its MUCH faster than dial up. Only problem is they are quite $$$$$. They make it sound cheap however it is like a cell phone plan. You get a certain amount of data transfer. Opening up an internet site transfers data. Make sure you don't go over your limit...

·
Registered
826 Posts
I tried wild blue, they sent modem and dish plus free installation. When the service tec came to hook up the dish he said it would cost 150-200$. I sent him out the door and called wild blue and they said I didn`t read the fine print and they failed to mention there could be a fee. Screw them. still stuck with DU!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I dropped by a Verizon retailer (not a Verizon store) and the very helpful young lady there told me I should go to a real Verizon store and they would allow me 30 days to return the aircard and cancel the service if I was not satisfied (the retailer was not able to provide that option). I will check with my local Verizon store about that. Verizon, as I recall, has two plans. One for $39 per month and the other for $59 per month. The cheaper plan seemed to have a very low amount of traffic that you could send/receive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Hughes net and am very satisfied. Its a little more expensive than what I've paid for cable or DSL but I have no other option. I've had service for 2 years. reboot sometimes and thats about it. Customer service is the same as with sat tv, cable, telephone companies. they are all the same, no service really. I needed the service to be able to work from home and its worked out fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts