Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found using high-vis colors to be a problem with PP? Assuming a decent length leader, I'm hoping braid color isn't an issue. All I have now is the "moss" color, which is pretty hard to see against the water.
Clint

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I haven't see it to be a problem, and, I really really like the red when bait fishing. But, that's only because it looks cool.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I like the red too, but when you first use it, it bleeds leading to some pink hands, clothes, etc. I think use a 4 ft leader with the high vis and you should be fine. I'm not sure rockfish are line shy anyway like some other species.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I like the hi-vis yellow,its easy to see when you run 14+ rods w/planner boards.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Its not an issue in the bay as long as you use a leader....I know one guy who runs it straight to the umbrella with out a leader...I wont mention any names : ) We use yellow offshore all the time...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Question, if the fish aren't shy about hitting a shad behind a big silver metal 4-6 arm umbrella contraption, does it really matter if you tie a leader to the umbrella? Just curious. :confused:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I may be strange, but I can't see the hi vis stuff when it is sunny...the moss shows up better. This is for trolling. But I do have 4 rods with the red to match 4 Penn 113s. Purely for looks.

Jigging I use moss and/or hi vis yellow...seeing it isn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
26,250 Posts
I like the yellow for jigging/livelining.Makes it easy to see where the lure/bait is.

For trolling I use a differeant brand of braid.It only comes in a light blue or green.I prefer the lighter color but use both.

As long as you use a 3-4 foot leader- line color does not matter.In fact , most fish in the bay will hit a lure/bait tied right to braid.I like a mono leader more as a handle then anything.Grabbing a big fish with braid hurts :eek:.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I like the yellow hi-viz, can see it much better than any other color, and yes i run it straight to the in-line weight on the umbrella. Use the in-line weight as a handle for guiding fish into the net or hauling over the gunnel.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hi Vis Yellow is my favorite. 30 lb for jigging/livelining and 80 lb for trolling.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
I also don't think color matters to fish. I ties my 80lb. hi-vis yellow directly to my umbrellas. I've started using colors to I.D. pound test. I have 40 lb. in red. 50 lb. in moss & 80 lb. in yellow. Then I don't get confused which rod to use in the spring,summer or fall

·
Registered
412 Posts
I never use leader and use the red stuff ive caught hundreds of striper,spreckle trout, flounder, grey trout, drum, red and black all hit it. I do actually use leader when fishing for spades but thats it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Even if a species of fish is leader-shy or line-shy I think people look at this issue wrong. There was an article in the last year or so in Sportfishing magazine that discussed lure color and line color. What we see from the boat is not at all what the fish see when looking up to the surface. A dark line or dark lure for that matter actually stands out more against a bright sky than does yellow or white high-viz line as it creates a silhouette.

On a side note you can say what you want about rockfish not being leader shy, not caring about umbrellas, etc but I still think fluorocarbon leader will catch more, and bigger, fish in the long-run. Its also much easier to use as it doesn't have the same memory properties as monofilament. It doesn't coil up all over the cockpit and is tougher (abrasion-wise) than mono. Leaders of mono or fluoro are important in that they can stretch, unlike braided spectra. This is especially valuable when putting the rod in the hands of a newby.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Line color doesn't really matter, but the red does bleed pretty bad at first and will stain your hull. It eventually goes away though. Red isupposedly disappears under water faster then any other color, but all powerpro line eventually fades and as I said the red bleeds off pretty bad and stains things. Because of this I prefer the hi vis yellow and green. Hookin up has a good idea, color code your rod lines based on lb test, think I'll try that myself. Do use a good flouro or mono leader though. Welcome aboard, I'm relarively new to this post as well.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I like having different colors on my rods--it can help to figure out which line goes where in the "unlikely" event of a tangle

Hans

1 - 20 of 20 Posts