Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking to a local dealer about motors in general, and he was really talking them up.

Don't know much about them,but I heard you must run some high grade 2 stroke oil through them.Also heard they may have problems cycling thru some RPM ranges.
Hoping someone out there might have one and would share their experiences. As always, thanks for reading and taking time to post.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have had my e-tec 90 for 4 years.The oil is more cost but it doesn't burn much at all so that cancels out the cost.I troll a lot and trot line and that seems to foul the plugs more often.Low fuel cost offset that.I wouldn't change it for any other motor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
mine has been a great motor - starts instantly, idles forever, oil useage is low but gas consumption is about the same as an EFI - mine is an 05 and has only been in the shop one time for a recall issue

·
Registered
55 Posts
Look online. There are a bunch of reviews where the power head blows do to running to lean. One of there perks( they say) is that it doesnt use much oil, but that can be bad thing! They cut down on oil cumpsuption to meet emission standards. Yamaha and Suzuki are they best motors being made.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I really wanted an E-tec when I was looking at repowering. Because of the weight difference I could have gotten away with a 200 or even a 225 instead of a 150. But, sadly, the dealer network wasn't there yet, the motors were way more expensive and not willing to come down on price, and the time wait to get it installed was 6 weeks.

Conversly, when I bought my Yamaha I was able to negotiate price between three dealers to see who would come down the most, and I brought the boat in on Sunday, and was Fishing on Wendesday afternoon. I also didn't want to run all over the place to get service done because there were so few dealers in MD at that time.

I really wanted an E-tec, but they just didn't have the dealer network that the Yamah's did when I was looking at them. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Guy Brothers Marine (near Leonardtown) sells and services eTecs. Their reputation is stellar! I'm going to buy mine there.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I bought a 2009 in late 08 and now will not own anything else. It's simply great. I bought it near Baltimore and have a great service guy on the Shore, Daffin Marine, although I doubt it will need much servicing. You are not to touch it for 3 yrs after purchase, it self-winterizes, uses virtually no oil, sips fuel, quiet, starts as soon as you touch the key, has no problems with ethanol, much more powerful and lighter than a comparable hp 4 stroke, fast, quiet... really awesome.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I own an ETEC 50 HP. I went to the Small Boat Show last weekend. Only Mercury and Yamaha motors were represented. I played stupid and asked the Salesmen how the Mercury's compared to the E-TECs. They lied so much it was hilarious. Not only about performance but also Maintenance. One surprise though, I met my second Mercury Salesman who actually has an ETEC as his personal motor. That alone says alot. My 50 ETEC is a dream machine. It consistantly gets 10 mpg with my boat. As a previous poster stated, the oil is about $40.00 a gallon but a gallon lasts all season. Three years and no issues. I had it serviced last year as is the schedule. I also troll and crab and the plugs get dirty but that is a simple fix. The plugs are indexed so be careful when installing new plugs. Two machines I've purchased in my life that does what the manufactures states, DR BRUSH heavy duty Mower and my ETEC 50 HP. Both made in AMERICA.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I repowered to a 225 Etec 2 years ago. Great motor. All of my buddies love the power and no smoke. I had a 200 johnson before and it was a loud gas hog smoking beast. The new motor sips fuel, quieter, and more power compared to friends with 4 strokes yammys. The only negative is not as many dealers compared to other motors, so harder to find a nearby spot if I ever needed maint done. I love the self winterizing feature. That alone saves time and $$. One other nice thing about etec compared to other motors, no breakin period. You can use it the way you want on hour #1. The motor is smart enough to inject extra oil the first 10 hours. With other motors you may have to go a certain rpm for a while and can't go Wide open yet. If you have a trailer or live near a local ETEC dealer I am sure you will be happy. For more info, you can check out http://www.etecownersgroup.com/ One other thing, you will see a lot of the DNR guys with ETECs on their boats. I also noticed my old sailing team at St. Mary's college in St. Mary's City, MD has all ETECs on their chase boats. The team sails YEAR round and the boats get used 6-7 days a week. These boats are used by college kids who run them hard and let the motors idle a lot. I am sure the reason DNR and the college chose ETEC was due to minimum maint required.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Anything you buy today is going to serve you well if you take care of it. The fact is - you can find some dirt somewhere on any motor made today. They build a million etec's a year, there's bound to be a bad egg in there.......find the person who owns it and they will tell you its ****. Same thing with yamaha, mercury, and suzuki.

I've spent 2 years restoring my boat and i have narrowed my motor choices down to 2.........Suzuki or E-Tec. With a 4 stroke there is always a weight issue but in all my searching the motors i have found the least amount of negativity on are the Suzuki's.

Theres haters out there for every motor made. Pick the one that best suits you, and one that has a good dealer network in your area.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Mike,
Not to jack the thread, but I would love to talk to you about the Suzuki if you buy one. I have been on several and have some stuff to let you know about.

·
7,173 Posts
I'm pretty sure the power head issue was an early model that has been corrected. I got a 5 year warranty and numerous state NRP boats including MD run them hard.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Mike,
Not to jack the thread, but I would love to talk to you about the Suzuki if you buy one. I have been on several and have some stuff to let you know about.
Sounds good - btw did you paint the inside of your whaler? what'd you paint it with if so?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yeah. I used grey "deck tuff" paint. They sell it at BPS. It works well and is resistant to bleach and holds up good, but, it's hard to clean. Here's a few shots of what it turned out like.

You can see what it looks like now in Daves most recent Gold Rush personal best post.

And yeah if you do decide ont he Suzuki shoot me a B-mail before you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hands down the best motor I've owned. The fuel consumption and oil consumption is off the chart. It is pretty quiet, comparable to a 4 stroke. Service at 3yrs or 300hrs and that service is a whole lot less than the 4 stroke service. Auto winterize/dewinterize without going to the dealer. Crunch the numbers with anyone who has a Yammi/Merc/Zuke and you'll see the up keep alone is enough to sway your decision.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes,

You have to use (Injector Oil). Evinrude has their own brand. There are other Companies who offer it but to avoid any possible Warranty iussues stick with Evinrudes Brand. Very Pricey ($40.00+ a Gallon) but the Motor literally sips it. Do not use Standard 2 Stroke oil in these motors.

·
7,173 Posts
Unlike your dad's 2 stroke, the oil is not mixed with gas on an Etec.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Unlike your dad's 2 stroke, the oil is not mixed with gas on an Etec.
Understood it's not pre-mixed, or even injected prior to the intake. I'm guessing it is injected directly on the main bearings, then mixes with the fuel somewhere and is burned in combustion? If it don't get burned in the cylinders, where does it go? I'm sure it doesn't accumulate in the case and need periodic draining. But I'm still wondering about this "special" oil. Am I to understand that it is a different specification than standard TCW-3 oil? A proprietary formulation developed specifically for these engines and not appropriate for other applications? And Evinrude specifically prohibits the use of any oil other than their blend or they won't honor the warranty? I guess I gotta do a little research, sounds suspiciously similar to claims by the auto companies that if you don't use their brand of filters and oil that the warranty will be void, which I understood to be illegal. Now, if this oil is specifically formulated for this type of application(like oils rated and formulated for diesels), then I can see using it. But if it's one of those nebulous recommendations foisted on new owners by salesmen who make a 50% markup on specifically branded products, well, I guess I gotta do the homework and get to the real deal.
Pat in Joppa
EDIT- Just pulled this off the E-Tec web site ...
Oil Reservoir
E-TEC engines use an all new, on-board
automatic oiling system. 2 cylinder engines
get a 1.8L reservoir, 3 cylinder models get a
2.8L tank. Enough for about 40 hours of
typical recreational use with TC-W3
, or 60
hours with E-TEC oil.
Looks like you can certainly run TCW-3 spec oil with no warranty issues. Salesmen speaking to the contrary are not telling the truth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts