Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I saw a decent 8 pointer in Trappe this morning, almost hit him. should start seeing them drop soon though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm here in Surry County.. Found part of a 4 last weekend.. I tend to run the roads late at nite.. Have been still seeing alot of complete bucks..
In the past, The first part of Feb. the bucks are all clean around here...
May have something to do with the weather and the late rut..

DF

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Slade

I bet the ones you found before Christmas had that disease that makes the deers hooves split. We killed 6 bucks during the season with no horns and all had bad feet.

DEAN

·
Registered
471 Posts
Might have been Dean, I dont know, I know this particular deer that I am talking about had a heck of a rack on him, it was ashame that he dropped them early, he was a hall hanger. We did kill some deer this year that had the split foot problem, but all those seem to have been does. i cannot really recall any of the bucks having the split hoof.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went last Friday and found no sheds. I did however see 8 different bucks and only one was missing a antler. One of the bucks I saw was a hammer and had about a 6 inch drop tine! Poon

·
Registered
251 Posts
WENT HUNTING WITH 6 OTHER GUYS SAT 2-11-06 IN BALTIMORE COUNTY NEAR OLD YORK RD 35 GEESE,3 BANDS AND A NICE SHED BOTH ANTLERS WITHIN 50 YARDS 10 POINTER

·
Registered
440 Posts
We killed several bucks this past year in Lunenburg w/ the split hoof disease. Most of them nice bucks too. Some had it right bad. Or as bad as I've seen it. Actually dont recall seeing any does w/ it, but I'm sure there were a few that were killed w/ the disease. Hopefully it wont be bad this summer. We've taken a few hard hits over the past ten years from the disease. Herds in pretty good shape now though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
TWO OF THE BUCKS MY WIFE KILLED(ONE A 8 THE OTHER A SIX)HAD SPLIT HOOF,BUT NOT TOO BAD.THEY WERE GONNA MAKE IT,THAT IS UNTIL THEY MET MY WIFE!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
An 11 pointer with a 6" kicker 18" wide by 16" tall was found the last day of rabbit season by one of the guys in our club. Either he was shot by a poacher and ran off, or the hoof disease got him. I dont know any scientific details on the hoof disease. I do know we get hit pretty hard from time to time in the Lunenburg/Brunswick/Mecklenburg area. Seems like it's worse when we have a really dry summer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think I know what you guys are referring to as the "hoof disease." It is hemorrhagic disease and it is very common in VA. Typically if a deer with hemorrhagic disease makes it to the first frost, the deer will survive. The sloughing hooves is an effect of the deer running a high fever while being sick. If you fill out DMAP tags for your deer, one of the questions the VDGIF asks if whether or not the deer has sloughing hooves. This is a good indicator as to whether or not the deer had hemorrhagic disease during the summer. Here's a pretty informative link.
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/HUNTING/va_game_wildlife/hd.html

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here in Suffolk, Va still seeing bucks with horns on there head......Can't believe they aren't dropping yet. Have yet to see a nubby head.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts