Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:helpsmilie:

I'm new to fishing in the Bay and would love to hear any tips on fishing this time of the year. Most of my fishing is from a pier. I'm now starting to use Gulp soft bait. Thanks for suggestions.

:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Move to Florida.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Dress warm...layers. Pick your days and be safe.
Best advice is to tow to Point Lookout and follow a 27' Grady that looks like a porcupine with a lot of guys running around on the back.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Yes, fish are more easily spooked in cold water. Consider that fact when moving back on your drift. Circle wide and go slow.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Welcome Aboard 5. :D

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
If ya listen to the wx reports or if your leary about rough water, you'll do little fish'n. Get to know the limits of your boat and yourself. Most boat owners don't know either :))........................

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Wear a PFD
Get a set of Grundins. (Grundins are rain gear if your not familiar with them)
STAY IN THE BOAT!!

Seriously --- Dress in layers since the weather can be finicky. I've fished the ocean in January and been wearing a tee-shirt and a flannel shirt and been more then warm. Other days, You never thaw out. Get a fleece lined hooded sweatshirt, warm gloves that aren't real thickly padded, waterproof boots and coat and pants that the wind won't cut thru.
If your going out on a boat, make sure you file float plan or someone knows where to look for you if you don't return when expected. Try to pair up with another boat that's going to fish the same area. That way if either of you have a problem, help is close by. This is assuming that you keep your radio/antenna in good working condition.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
You say you fish from a Pier..If the pier is lit, go out about an hour after it gets dark..

Fish the shadow line created by the pier/lights

Stripers sit in the dark side and ambush bait moving between the lit and shadowed water..Cast smaller (3-4" sassy shads and maybe use a dropper fly (search for "dropper fly" to learn more)..

This has worked for me at Pt Lookout Pier.. dont go right to the end to fish either.. most times the stripers are clser to shore using the shorline to help corral the bait!!

Bring a measurer!

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts