Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to the area, moved here from Colorado last year. I've met some you good folks and have enjoyed & appreciated the input about fishing in this area. Like many of you my schedule demands that I plan my fishing trips well in advance, so I wanted to extend an invitation to any trout fisherman out there who want to fish some Maryland streams this year. I live in the Annapolis area and would be glad to share a ride to the river. Just send me some dates that you want to fish.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yup... I live around Annapolis too. There are quite a few good trout streams less than an hour away... and some outrageous stream 1 1/2 drive. Outrageous by our standards... still good fishing. Salmo (Jon) does his steelhead thang every year... not too far (weekend trip) Plus you have Western Md streams that actually do compare to western rivers in size...
I'm gearing up for the bay right now though. Things are going to start very soon. I'll probably only do one trout trip this spring.. But take heart, there are lots of other guys that fish trout.... and do it well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Sethonthefly--

I live in DC and fish mostly for trout. I'm officially self-employed now, and my boss has promised to keep my spring and early summer wide open. That means frequent daytrips to the Gunpowder and the Shenandoah Valley, as well as the occasional overnighter in western Maryland, Pennsy, or West Virginia this season. Drop me a line if you ever want to meet up. Either bmail me here or email me at djamieson at hotmail.com.

And welcome to the area. You won't find the South Platte here, obviously, but there's plenty of good trout fishing--some of it phenomenal--and it's easier than you'd think to find a quiet pool to yourself.

Best,

Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
I live in Montgomery County and usually make a weekday trip to Frederick County, I teach in Frederick, and weekend trips to the same rivers or the Howard/Baltimore County area.

Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I may be fishing the little Lehigh up here Saturday, depending on the flow from the rain tonight. Blue Wing Olive time!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Yap their are more then a few trout chaser around here. I use to be one.
Now lets get this straight. Guy live in Md. Then retired to colorado. You live in colorado and move to MD. Did you guys just switch keys. ;) :D

·
Registered
707 Posts
i live up the road in ellicott city and like to do some trips out to w. md a few times a year and then fish the local trout stuff for half days.

keep my email handy.

mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
sethonthefly,
I too am a transplant from Co. I'm originally from Grand Junction. I live in North Carolina now, but fish a bit in Md and VA. Lots of opportunities in your area. Don't be afraid to drive. I thought I missed out on flyfishing opps when I moved out here from Co. Man was I wrong. I suggest you pick up a 9wt and learn to tie some salt water patterns. Let me know if I can help.

Also,

Seth

·
Registered
54 Posts
Transplant from California Here

I got to fish the Owens River and Hot Creek in the Sierra Nevada's for wild browns. I've gotten the saltwater stuff working for me now, but I would to take the 4wt out this year for some dry fly action.

Is there anything closer than 3 hours to the Virginia Beach area? I also read about a few of these private ranches like Rose River Farm and Big Pine Trout Farm??? I don't mind catching small fish as long as they are native.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

My fishn buddies pitched in for a 9wt as a going away present. I'm learning some saltwater files, but not having a boat I finding is making it tough to find water to fish.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Seth -
now that you're here in the East...plan a long weekend...actually plan a bunch of them.
Enjoy the history of your sport
Go to Roscoe NY, join the Catskill FlyFishing Museum and Center http://www.cffcm.net
Fish the Beaverkill and Willowemoc
Fish the Delaware
Fish the Schoharie, and the Neversink.
Fish the Esopus (if they get "The Portal" cleaned up this year!)
After that, I'll send you to the Adirondacks.
Never compare streams...take each one as the unique thing it is. They all still have their secrets.
DF

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Fish the letort, the yellow breechs, falling springs, big springs, green springs, middle springs and of course cedar run and roe run. :yes: :clap: :eek: Sorry I lost my head their for a min. poor little cedar is gone from this world. ah, and forget I even mensioned that other run. Now what was that name again..;) :rolleyes: :D
Never mind don't fish any of the above. their all history. Fly fishing that is bwahahahahaha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
troutfest???

hmmm...has a nice ring to it. I would be up for that or even a group of folks who like to gather to tie trout flies. I miss by buddies back in Colorado...I guess. Tied every Monday night.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Being in the east has made be think a little differently about the sport. Seems gentler and quieter here than the big wide open spaces and canyons I'm used to. Been thinking I would like to read some classic flyfishing books as well as eventually fish all of those historic streams. Sugestions on what to read?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts