Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bow hunting last night and 2 does walk right in. I line up the bigger and draw, waiting for a second. The deer's body goes right-to-left with the head at the left. As I release, the deer jerks its head to her left (I assume she heard something - it was windy) and my arrow goes right through her snout and straight into the middle of her chest - deep. The deer takes off (with the other doe) running as fast as it could with the fletching sticking out of her head about 6 inches. It looked like a unicorn and bounded into a deep thicket.

I sat there not a second not believing what I saw before ?I went to find it. Anyone have something like this happen?

· Registered
113 Posts
One of my coworkers has a picture in his locker of a bowkill with the arrow embedded right in the top, middle of the deer's head. Whatta shot.

I've passed on two deer this year because they were straight down shots, with nothing but a spine shot. They weren't trophies and I didn't feel like draggin' and cleanin' anyway!

I shot one in the spine, a few years ago and the arrow just bounced right off him. I'll wait for quartering and broadside shots.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never did find it b/ the briar was so thick and it got dark. I sent my dog in, be she couldn't get through either. I woke up to hellacious rains yesterday, so I wasn't going back out - damn shame.

I agree w/ the broadside shot - that's what I thought I had! I'll send pix if I ever find it.

Right now I just want my broadhead back.

· Registered
102 Posts
Over the past 40 or so years of bow hunting I have shot many dear in the head and several straight down spine shots. If the situation is right, I would rather have a head or spine shot. They drop like a rock. Here's a pic of 8 pt from last Wed afternoon. Typical liver shot. Walked about 30 yards and dropped.

· Registered
342 Posts
[Q]RANGER690 originally wrote:
Strange things do happen. That is a funny story. Just wait, Rapprunner will be here to tell you about the doe he killed by putting a broadhead thru its ear!

Dayton
[/Q]

Yep---shot one through the ear flap, made a perfect "X". Ran about 80 yds and piled up. Funniest thing I had ever seen, the deer had to have moved it's head when I shot. The arrow passed through the ear flap then hit behind the front shoulder.

· Banned
103 Posts
Had a small doe and a larger doe approximately 25 yards away walking at a slow pace.

Larger doe was just out infront of the smaller one. The smaller one was just behind the bigger when I shot and the smaller one jumped my string (arrow) and took one for the bigger.

Smaller one went right down for the count, an absolutely perfect Lung shot, but...wrong deer.

· Registered
84 Posts
Many years ago i had a smallish doe wind me at 35yds, at the shot she jumped the string. She was broadside, dropped and spun to head back in the direction she came from. Arrow flew over her back and drilled her square in the back of the head , partially exited to the side of the snout. She managed to go about a hundred yds or so before she bit it...I'm surprised the arrow didnt bounce right off. That old Bear whitetail II w/rocky mountian razors sent many a deer to that cornfield in the sky.

· Registered
373 Posts
In 1988 I was living in Boise, Idaho and that fall I was up in the mountains bow hunting for elk in the Hellroaring Creek area. One morning I saw elk, but couldn't get a shot. That afternoon, I was walking up a trail beside a small stream and noticed a rock outcroping about 80 yards above me. I continued up the trail, then circled around to walk to the point of the outcropping for a panoramic view.

About 20 yards from the point of the rocks I look up and crouched perfectly broadside to me is a 6 foot cougar. I guess out here you call them a mountain lion. I froze. I couldn't believe I had walked right up on it and gotten within 20 yards and not seen it. I didn't know what to do, but I had an elk tag and a cougar tag because there are a lot of them in that area. Hence the Wasighton State University Cougars.

Anyway, I then realized that cat was above me watching me from the rocks as I walked up the trail. Maybe the cat thought it saw lunch. I slowly nocked an arrow and let fly. I hit the cat broad side but a little too far back I think. The cat does a 180 and snarls at me before running off. I found my arrow and a small blood trail that ended, but not the cat. I looked for two days and never found that cougar. Made me sick. Would have made a great mount.
Shawn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.