Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coast Guard rescues kayaker near Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Coast Guard rescues kayaker near Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

By Jim Washington
The Virginian-Pilot
© December 15, 2008
VIRGINIA BEACH

The Coast Guard rescued a female kayaker Monday afternoon near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.

According to the Coast Guard the Bridge-Tunnel police called them at 1:36 p.m. to report an overturned kayak and a person in the water about one and a half miles from the first island.

A rescue boat from Little Creek Coast Guard Station in Virginia Beach rescued the woman, whose name was not released. She was treated for mild hypothermia and was not wearing a life jacket, according to the Coast Guard.

On Saturday a rescue crew from the Coast Guard station in Elizabeth City, N.C. pulled two people from the water off Oregon Inlet at 1:48 p.m. They were spotted after their 21-foot boat sank clinging to a cooler in the water. Both are in good condition, according to the Coast Guard.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I know this is gonna open up a can of worms. Like i always say, Kayaks are for skinny water. yakers dont like me because I tell it like it is. yaks are great if you use them like there meant to be used. they're not meant to be out at the tunnel in 2-3 ' chop. put on your pfd load the plastic flyer up with all your gear roll it over and try to climb back in in 45 degree water with all your clothes, waders, and gloves on before hypothermia sets in. hell its hard enough in the summer w / swim trunks. I rescued a guy 3 yrs ago off masonboro inlet NC he couldnt get back in his yak and exhausted. Gave him my whole shpeel on my thought on yaks, he didnt care for me after calling him an idiot. the next weekend he was back out there and in trouble again. thank god another boater stopped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts