1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this BBC.CO.UK piece.
Press Releases

God told me to invade Iraq, Bush tells Palestinian ministers

President George W Bush told Palestinian ministers that God had told him to invade Afghanistan and Iraq - and create a Palestinian State, a new BBC series reveals.

In Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs, a major three-part series on BBC TWO (at 9.00pm on Monday 10, Monday 17 and Monday 24 October), Abu Mazen, Palestinian Prime Minister, and Nabil Shaath, his Foreign Minister, describe their first meeting with President Bush in June 2003.

Nabil Shaath says: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq …" And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'"

I originally thought Bush's comment that we were on a "crusade against terror" was just another of his foot-in-mouth statements. After reading this I am not so sure

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
I talk to God all of the time. I always listen to what He has to say and try my best to do it. He doesn't always do what I ask either, but at least He listens!

Why would this seem strange to you?

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
As a born again Celt, I talk to all of THEM. The problem is that yo might get conflicting responses which leave you more confused than when you started. I don't know what diety it is that President Bush is listening to, but maybe he should start formulating some thoughts of his own and really think things out before taking action.......on any front.

I think Teddy Kennedy's plane being hit by lightning was a sure sign that someone doesn't like him!

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]Sanity originally wrote:
I don't know what diety it is that President Bush is listening to, but maybe he should start formulating some thoughts of his own and really think things out before taking action.......on any front.
[/Q]Bingo! Anyone can listen to God and give him the blame, or the credit.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]Capt. Jim Brincefield originally wrote:
I talk to God all of the time. I always listen to what He has to say and try my best to do it. He doesn't always do what I ask either, but at least He listens!

Why would this seem strange to you?
[/Q]This quote could easily have been attributed to Bin Laden and the like. I'm certain that he doesn't find it strange at all.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]Capt Frank originally wrote:
I hope God tells him to put serious troops on the border today, and keep them there.
[/Q]I don't know about God, but I'm certain Bush's new Chief of Staff and Political Advisor told him precisely that.[smile]

·
10,897 Posts
I wonder if Noah was happy that he listened to God's word?

It is my belief that when judgment day comes, and it will come for all of us humans, those that have listened to God's word, and tried to act upon it and behave in a Christian way, will be rewarded. Those that have not listened will be judged accordingly. It is a far better world that listens to God than one that does not.

As far as President Bush is concerned, that is his personal testimony (if, in fact, it is an accurate quote), so who are you folks to doubt it? I'm not convinced the quote is accurate. It seems very strange that this is the first time we've heard about this.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
To be clear, I am not speaking ill of anyone's religious views. I'd just prefer that those who hear voices, and talk back to them stay out of government.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I don't think that with Bush it is an intellectual, theological or even a philosophical thing. I think with him it is more of a moronic schizophrenic thing, cultured under the influence of too many 2 carbon fragments (ethanol) and genes (not jeans) that were too tight.

My opinion is not limited to Bush. It does extend to the Prime Minister of Iran, Osama and his followers and others of their ilk who find justification for their ill behavior at a "higher" level than even reasonable truth would allow.

My own personal poor behavior is also not the work of a demon or devil. It happens to result from an inadequate personality coupled with an extraordinary capability for making poor life choices. Let the blame fall where it may, but I'll leave dieties out of my own equation while trying to find good rules to live by that I can actually follow.

So far I have not killed or coveted my neighbor's wife.[grin]

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
[Q]captaingeorge originally wrote:
To be clear, I am not speaking ill of anyone's religious views. I'd just prefer that those who hear voices, and talk back to them stay out of government.
[/Q]
Hey the Founders probably talked to God, should they have stayed out of govt as well.
George dont you talk back in the computer when the voices say "Buy".[grin]

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
On the basis of talking to God alone, no......but some of our "Founders" were ill suited for the job on a personal level and served their own interests above their professed beliefs .....and the interest of the "common" people.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I sspeak to God at least once a day. I thank him for his blessings in the form of my wonderful children, my job, my friends and more.

There was a time when I was shot down in Viet Nam that I spoke to God from my heart. The first day I was scared and basically begging God to spare me. On the second day I accepted the fact that I was going to die and thanked God for my mom and dad, brothers and sisters and asked for the strength to be brave when the end came. I didn't hear an answer in the sense that I heard words, but I can say I felt his hand on my shoulder and I felt he was with me and would be when the end came. Most would scoff at this, but I know what I know and I know what I felt. God was with me that night and I wasn't afraid anymore.

I truely believe the following:

One night a man had a dream.
He dreamed he was walking along
the beach with the Lord.

Across the dark sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene, he noticed
two sets of footprints in the sand,
one beloning to him and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of his life
there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the
very lowest and saddest times in his life.
This bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it.

"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life there is
only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you most
you would leave me."

The Lord replied "My precious, precious child,
I love you and would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffereing,
when you see only one set of footprints in the sand,
it was then that I carried you."

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
When a neighborhood dog tells the Son of Sam to go out and kill people, we call him a psycho but when god tells the leader of a country to invade another, we call it something else. Seems curious to me.

I do, however, appreciate the fact that God has decided to speak personally with all the Nextel drivers. A few years ago, one of the drivers, probably sincerely, made sure to thank God for the "win". Then a couple more did it. Now, without exception, they ALL do it. Either God has adopted NASCAR or the sponsors just eat that stuff up.[smile]

·
10,897 Posts
Hey Fisk, thanks for the heartfelt post. I have felt the same hand on my shoulder and I know how you feel. I thought I was a goner last Summer, but when I finally came to after the collision, I felt HIS hand and felt in my heart that He was not quite done with me yet.

When I made it back to shore with my passengers safe (save the 3 that were medivacked) and alive - there was my wife Jil, Chumbucket, Hammer, and The Love Dwarf all waiting to help as much as they could. Life was good, I was alive, my passengers were all alive, and I knew it would be okay from there.

Those of you that have not experienced what Fisk is talking about - you will have to wait. It will come some day, even if it is your last day. You don't know what a great feeling of warmth and comfort it is. I wish Big Jim would speak to this as he can describe this better than I, but you guys think it's a bunch of BS and as sure as I am alive today, I tell you it isn't.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
What kind of dog does Bush have?? Maybe there's been some kind of mistake here! Remember Clinton's dog, Buddy? It apparently told him to find the kitty.....or was that something else......and Clinton was sniffing around the wrong tree?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Fisk if I were to take up believing in Gods yours would be my choice. Very well said.

I would have a difficult time with one that needed Bush's help solving problems.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts