Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to go since Micky at Green Top told me about it last year. He said Feb when the water was the coldest was the best. I bought the DVD later and saw Capt Neil wearing them out there. My guess the mild winter has queered that same as the Blue Cats? Anybody been or want to try? I have to go back to South America where I work soon and need some pullage bad.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm going to go this week. There are plenty of them schooling in the river now.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where more or less are they schooling up? Are you talking down near Hampton Roads or further upriver? We nailed them good last March. Early fish were schoolie males then whopper females a week or two later. This happened in March just above Hopewell. Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
upriver above Hopewell. Most of these are of the smaller variety. I did hear of a 15 pounder being caught. The hogs are still a month or so away from coming up the river. I can't wait for those to arrive. And soon after that it will the mighty sturgeon making a return to the James.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Don't forget that we can't keep fish caught between the mouth of the Chick and the mouth of the Appomatox rivers. They are classified as "Spawning grounds". Here are the dates and regs. See the "spawning" highlighted link under the Striped Bass Bay season.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/regulations/swrecfishingrules.shtm

Dayton

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
[Q]Gottheblues originally wrote:
upriver above Hopewell. Most of these are of the smaller variety. I did hear of a 15 pounder being caught. The hogs are still a month or so away from coming up the river. I can't wait for those to arrive. And soon after that it will the mighty sturgeon making a return to the James.
[/Q]
Do you fish for the stugeons when they return ?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Dog on, it'll take a month to read all that I'm just gonna release all the bass I catch anyway to be safe. Why are strippers safe to eat and catfish aren't?
Moe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts