Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in getting into tuna/Dolphin/Wahoo spearing this summer anyone on here have some information on my chances in the Virginia/MD area?

Or should I stick to inshore stuff and fly out for my tuna?

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
If you really want to try-the best bet would be in late July/August at Norfolk canyon on a weekday under a big weed line.Plenty of Mahi will be there-maybe tuna. Skip

·
Registered
578 Posts
The float came in last night. It has about 80 lbs. of bouancy and an 80' 3/8 bungie run between sailing cams through a hole in the center. I'm not sure of the prooper name for those cams but they let line go through one way and not the other. That lets you haul the fish up to the surface. It's very similar to what the more successful South Afircan spearfishermen have been using for YFT to over 200 lbs. The bungie is to be attached to the shooting line on the spear where one would normally attach the gun. The shaft come completely free of both the the gun and me when the spear is fired, hopefully leaving the tuna attached to the float by the shock absorbing bungie. The custom made gun is a heavy 63" long piece of teak shooting a 5/16" diameter spear with 4 short 3/8" bands. I've started working out again several weeks ago and should be ready by summer. Also, I think I have enough experience to not get in over my head with this stuff. With all due respect to the power of tuna I think the game will be on with them this summer.:bigfish: :clapping2: :yes: Oh yeah, I also got a shark shield last year to mitigate the eater issues. :eek2: I plan to go with some buds who have done it before. It promises to be nothing short of a full blown adventure. :D
Mark

Ruh Roh, tuna can be speared locally. It's always a lot of knowledge and a bit of luck finding them, as Skip implies. Mahi are fun, too though, and I think easier to find. Wahoo I don't know about up here but they can certainly be found off NC. I want a wahoo, too. This will be freediving, as will be the tuna effort. Scuba is just too noisy but you probably already knew that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, sounds like you are all set to go Mark. Drop me a line if you and your friends ever need another to chip in for beer and gas. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Will do. Also, check with Matt Turner at Pirate Scuba in Ocean City. See piratescuba.com He organizes some trips. Check with Mark Labocetta of the Mid Atlantic Freedive Club too. See omerdiving.com
Mark

·
Registered
331 Posts
Count me in Mark, I'm ready. Ruh Roh, to echo what Mark said, check with Matt Turner at Pirate Scuba in OC. I've hit the salt with him quite a few times before, he's good people. Let me know when you're both ready to chase tuna, I'm down.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
You can go out to the triangle wrecks for mahi in late august. I don't know how hard it would be to get close to the tuna in 90 foot of water or less unless you have nitrogen mixed in with your air and are able to dive deeper. The lobster traps near the norfolk canyon always seem to have something on it but again, they might be real deep. Good luck . I'm sure it can be done, find structure and maybe even do some chumming for them. Be careful of those sharks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts