Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I read the weather report correctly last night? I remember reading 10-15kt winds, gusting to 20 kt. Waves 2-3 ft.

Thomas point has been reading 8 gusting to 9kts all day... I’m sick about it!!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Gotta love a bad report. It's suppose to pick up but this morning should have been great. I am hoping for the same tomorrow. Same forecast 10-15 with gusts to 20. But I gotta see it for myself, before canceling.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Only Trust CBOFS... It was right on. Was beautiful today!

·
Registered
401 Posts
x2 CBOFS was right on. You need to look at all the data. NOAA weather covers a large area.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
X3 on CBOFS http://www.tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/cbofs/wind_2_forecast.shtml but even they get it wrong once in a while.

Not sure what's worse, have them get it wrong that way and cancel a trip needlessly or have a favorable forecast and get caught out there when all heck breaks loose about two hours in and risk life and limb getting back to the dock. Have had plenty of both situations over the years.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
You guys have got to stop using the NOAA marine forecast as your only source.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Although the small craft warning was posted - it was not until around noon.

Try using CBOFS. It showed light winds this morning - which it was.

I've found it to be accurate most times. I check it just before leaving in the morning and often the 6 hour prediction will be spot on.

One thing to also factor in is the current. If it is against the wind - often waves are steeper.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Knowing wind "direction " along with current is a necessity to estimate wave height. Wave height is the real concern for most fishermen (as opposed to wind speed). All predictive WEB sites get their basic data from NOAA. The differences between predictions lies solely with interpretation. NOAA is fantastic at predicting temperature and precipitation. Predicting wind (especially in a small local area) is a science that is less reliable. And, NOAA has to be somewhat conservative with their regional wind forecasts if there is much doubt.

Probably most of us have observed very calm conditions when a small craft advisory was in effect. Not common, but it occasionally happens. I look at multiple forecasts including NOAA regional forecasts, CBOFS, fishweather etc. and try my best to apply it to my intended fishing area taking into account current & wind direction. Most of the time that works well. I still constantly remind myself to be vigilant for unexpected changes.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Typically we study the weather ourselves a few days in advance and get a general idea. I say we, and really my father gets the credit. He’s been more accurate than any of them. Due to Easter we weren’t able to do it. I wanted to take my young son out and I wasn’t taking any chances…. One thing is for sure, you can’t blame the lack of stripers on me….

·
Registered
221 Posts
When i plan to go fishing i just go, the weather mad has been wrong so many times they all should be fired

so from here on out i see what the waves are doing as i am riding out , when they are rolling over the bow i turn around and head back to bed..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts