Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has run into issues launching at JRB/Huntington Park in NN lately. I have a Grady 228 and launched there at low tide a couple of Saturdays ago. Trying to get to the first markers to turn right to the channel out my lower unit started to catch on the bottom while I was in the center of the channel with the end of the rock jetty to starboard. I finally had to raise my lower unit and let a stiff breeze allow me to clear this high spot in the mud before lowering the motor back down and being able to proceed out. I really was starting to think I was going to be stuck waiting on a the tide to come back in.

I have never had this problem before and have launched there multiple times at low tide and have seen many larger boats launching there w/o issue. Does NN dredge this area at all? Just curious if anyone else has run into this lately?

·
Registered
289 Posts
We have launched there often in the past but unfortunately have not gotten out a lot so far this year.

However, for the past few years I have absolutely stopped launching or returning there except near high tide. Just not worth the risk.

I recall them dredging in the not TOO distant past, but even then it seemed awfully narrow... almost like walking a tight wire going in and out.

I readily admit to being over-cautious, but it's high tide only for me.

Good question - I'll be anxious to hear from others who are down there more frequently that I am.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes that ramp can be tricky at low tide, especially in a boat with any size to it, not sure about the dredge schedule but i do know most people power load their boat on the trailer, this causes the sand/sediment to get pushed around creating holes and high spots

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I go out of there all the time. Yes there is a problem. I get around it by raising my big motor and using my kicker to get in and out. If I had another boat I would avoid it at low tide.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Huntington park ramp

I was wondering if anyone else has run into issues launching at JRB/Huntington Park in NN lately. I have a Grady 228 and launched there at low tide a couple of Saturdays ago. Trying to get to the first markers to turn right to the channel out my lower unit started to catch on the bottom while I was in the center of the channel with the end of the rock jetty to starboard. I finally had to raise my lower unit and let a stiff breeze allow me to clear this high spot in the mud before lowering the motor back down and being able to proceed out. I really was starting to think I was going to be stuck waiting on a the tide to come back in.

I have never had this problem before and have launched there multiple times at low tide and have seen many larger boats launching there w/o issue. Does NN dredge this area at all? Just curious if anyone else has run into this lately?
Launched there last Saturday and got stuck at the first channel marker on both sides. Coast Guard inspectors told me to launch on the retrieve side as well. Boat Trophy 2352

1 - 5 of 5 Posts