Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Hopewell area is in the middle of "Catfish Central". Just about any bridge structure near the area will hold fish, especially on the down current side. Fishing for big cats is kinda like finding flounder - find the edges, find the fish. - use the buoys as a guide to the edges. The rivers (James and Appomattox) should be full of shad any day now, so bait should be no problem.
T

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Hopewell Fishing

Hopewell is also a great place to pick up Rock Fish, especially around the Benjamin Harrison Bridge. You should probably check out the freshwater board. A lot of TFer's that fish that part of the James River are on that board.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive cought some catfish out of there many times. I would not eat anything taken from that part of the river though, maybe its just me, but all the Hopewell chemical smell makes me think that the water must be no good. The Rockfishing there is okay as well.
Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes,
Fish there. Swim there. Eat fish and drink the water. And breathe the air.
Happen to watch ospreys flying fish over my head most of the weekend.
Fish the flats. The water is warming up quickly. You might even hook up to some of the 50 lb rockfish up here in the next 3 weeks.
Use Fresh herring or shad.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good fishin'

My buddy caught 49 inch cat in the James in the Hopewell area last year. I grew up in Chester (right down the road from Hopwell), but have never been into fresh water. However, I have never heard a bad comment about fishing that area from the other locals.

Good luck.

·
Registered
782 Posts
FISHED THERE YESTERDAY...GOT A DOZEN CATS AND WHITE PERCH...ALL ON MENHADEN. i TRIED SOME DEEP HOLES WITH NO LUCK ON THE BIG ONES. CAUGHT ALL MINE IN SHALLOW AT THE END ONF THE DAY.....MARKED ALOT OF GOOD MARKS SUSPENDED...FIGURED THEY WERE STRIPERS....BUT WITH SO MUCH DEBRIS COMING DOWN RIVER WITH THE TIDE...i WASN'T SURE.....IF IT WAS LOGS FLOATING UNDER THE SURFACE.....THAT WAS MY FIRST TRIP TO THE JORDAN BRIDGE SO AT LEAST I WASN'T SKUNKED....I LOVE THOSE WHITE PERCH THOUGH....
ANY GOOD HOLES AROUND THAT AREA ? I WAS FISHING UP BY BOUY 111.....BY THE PAPER MILL.....

·
Registered
8,065 Posts

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
for the record there IS a notoce from the VIRGINIA DEPT OF HEALTH - NO TO TO EAT THOSE BIG CATS.....I did.... but I already got cancer once and will die anyway some day.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epi/publichealthtoxicology/JamesRiver.asp

Waterbody and Affected Boundaries
James River from the I-95 James River bridge in Richmond downstream to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the tidal portion of the following tributaries: Appomattox River up to Lake Chesdin Dam, Bailey Creek up to Rt. 630, Poythress Run, Bailey Bay, Chickahominy River up to Walkers Dam, Skiffes Creek up to Skiffes Creek Dam, Pagan River and its tributary Jones Creek, Chuckatuck Creek, Nansemond River and its tributaries Bennett Creek and Star Creek, Hampton River, Willoughby Bay and the Elizabeth River system (Western Br., Eastern Br., Southern Br., and Lafayette River) and tidal tributaries St. Julian Creek, Deep Creek, and Broad Creek. These river segments comprise ~325 miles.

Affected Localities

Richmond City, Henrico Co., Chesterfield Co., Charles City Co., Hopewell City, Colonial Heights City, Petersburg City, Dinwiddie Co., Prince George Co., Surry Co., James City., New Kent Co., Isle of Wight Co., Newport News City, Suffolk City, Portsmouth City, Hampton City, Norfolk City, Chesapeake City and Virginia Beach City

PCBs Gizzard Shad
DO NOT EAT
PCBs Carp DO NOT EAT
PCBs Blue Catfish ≥ 32 inches DO NOT EAT
PCBs Flathead Catfish
≥ 32 inches DO NOT EAT

PCBs Blue Catfish < 32 inches No more
than two meals/month

PCBs Flathead Catfish
< 32 inches
PCBs Channel Catfish
PCBs White Catfish
PCBs Largemouth Bass
PCBs Bluegill Sunfish
PCBs American Eel
PCBs Quillback Carpsucker
PCBs Smallmouth Bass
PCBs Creek Chub
PCBs Yellow Bullhead Catfish
PCBs White Perch
PCBs Anadromous (coastal) Striped Bass
PCBs Bluefish
PCBs Croaker
PCBs Spot
PCBs Blueback Herring
PCBs Hickory Shad
Kepone All Species Limit consumption on a daily basis. However, PCBs advisory is more restrictive. Follow the PCBs advisory for the species listed

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey Racn,
I appreciate it but my computor blocked that picture....but yes the water smelled that of the hot ditch...or franklin...But I have ate all the fish in past years when the kepone was really prevailant...back in the early 80's......I think I'm half dead now....ha ha.....
I had a bunch of menhgaden and dead eels...but like I said first time up river past hog island....I come up rt 10 from suffolk...It was fun though....just need to hone in on a few good spots now....I got the dry run up there with the trailer and all figured out....And a Renewed licence....minor set back for the day.....But needed a break from the striper fishing......is that 295 up from the jordan point bridge.....?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Like Racn35 I have fished the James a couple thousand times, Bass tourn, Cat tourn and so on. I too will give up one hole! go east a 1/4 mile from the BHB TURN RIGHT INTO POWELL'S CREEK, be careful very shallow at the entrance only, procede to the 4th turn. Fish the 4th, 5th and 6th turns, these are deep holes and hold nice stripers and monster blue cats. I have pulled Blue Cat as large as 44lb from these holes....good luck! and tight lines!:thumbup:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks there baywatcher...I was trying to stay in the main river being a visiting angler to the area...I haven't been up the side creeks and rivers yet ...I thought it might be deeper in the channels...need to get a good chart especially for the james....I just have the basic navigation and bottom charts for the the whole bay area and up some of the tributaries....
hows menhaden work for the bait up there....that should be fine shouldn't it..???

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm from the Hopewell area. Down river(towards the bay),about 5 miles you go under some power lines. Another half mile the river makes a hard right turn.Come out of the channel and fish in about 20 feet of water. Caught a 57 pounder there this time last year.

·
Registered
519 Posts
bait of choice is cut gizzard shad...and you can net them right there on the james in the shallows or back creeks...if you have a fish finder would be the best way to find them....cast net or gill net is best..gill net being the easiest.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts