Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone fish the mattaponi or pamunkey if so in what general area .I fish the melrose arae of the mattaponi.I would like to fish the james more but know nothing about the upper river I have fished the lower part below the chick with some luck but never been on the upper part if someone could help with some info it would be greatly appreciated.:helpsmilie:
Billy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its been a couple of years since I was down there on a regular basis, but fresh big bait, any structure and drop-offs will locate fish. Any thing you do on the Matt. just do the same thing on the James.
One side note watch out for the barges and shipping traffic.

·
Registered
368 Posts
went with friends couple weeks ago to pamunkey and started fishing pretty much from the mill up river looking for drop offs and of course fish marks. caught a few in upper teens 3-4 dinks 2 in 20's and a32.5 pretty good day used gill net to catch afew shad also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Termite, I fish from West Point whenever I can get a chance to come that way. I live in Alexandria so I fish the Potomac. The Pamunkey is my favorite between those 2 rivers, though. If you fish the Melrose area, try the little channel behind that mini island just a little up river. About halfway up is a creek that comes off of it. There is a big, smart fish in there with a 8/0 Gamakatsu circle hook and some 40 lb mono that used to belong to me! He charged the boat, got the line around the motor and went back down river until I turned him back, so then he swam upriver past the boat. When I turned him back again, he swam right to the anchor rope, wrapped the line and snapped the line!

How much do you fish there? Maybe you could come up to the Potomac sometime.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crit
ter I fish the matt on a regular basis but haven't fished the pamunkey.I got caught up in striper fishin this fall and haven't catfished much since early fall but I am choppin at the bit to go again.I Hadn't gave catchin my own bait a thought I always go to Pride of Virginia and buy a box of bunkers and freeze em.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I fish tha Matt from aylette and go down river Have been from walkerton to aylette but if you try that you may want to go during high tide , caught a 35.8 lb cat the last time I was out, also have fished from walkerton down river ,,,last fall I was targeting Gar that was a blast
although caught more cat fish than gar. here lately ben catching striper on the bay,
Going to take the boat to Rudee Inlet Monday ,, IF the wind will allow. and hope to catch
some cows

Come the end of Feb and early March it'll be time to catch ring perch on the matt,

then after that It;ll be shad on the James, then back to spring striper season,

anyway If you want some info on the upper matt or any info on the James from
Deep Bottom (Varina) to Richmond I'll be glad to assist

·
Registered
650 Posts
Fishing

I have been catching alot of nice catfish on the Pamunkey in the last month or so. 46 lbs is the best so far. The best thing is you might see 1 or 2 boats per day on the water. Doug.

·
Registered
61 Posts
O/T you guys see a lot of gar/carp on the matt?

I started bow fishing last year so just curious what that Matt holds. Almost as much fun as shooting ducks/geese. Any help appreciated!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
fished the pawmunkey

fished it last oct .. my brother has a tourney there twice a yr .. we bass fish only .. its not what it used to be as far as bass are concerned .. i think we had 4 fish all day in oct thats nothing .. gl luck with your search ..

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's never been a great bass fishery...but it has lots of other fishing opportunities, including bowfishing for gar in the summertime. Won't be long before the ring perch start rolling through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts