Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang

I am getting ready for the winter VA striped bass fishing and doing an inventory on lines and need to get some new ones. Anyone fishing the new Sci Angler Sharkskin lines? Anyone fishing any other new lines they might recommend?

Thanks

Brandon

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I casted the line and liked it, but not enough to pay almost double for it. It did run through the guides noticeably better...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used sharkskin on my 5 wgt during a fall trip to Montana this year. I was impressed. Longer casts with less effort, floats higher in the water than other lines which is great for dry fly fishing and mending when nymphing. Well worth the extra $30 to $40 as I am convinced using this line resulted in more fish. Fishing trips are expensive regardless of whether you fish the Susquehanna flats or Montana and the extra cost doesn't seem that significant compared to everything else. The abrasive texture of the line did not bother me. As far as striper fishing in the bay, longer casts are a asset; high floatability maybe not so much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the Cortland Little Tunny awesome all weather fly line. Use it striper fishin in the winter and spring time in the keys, casts GREAT. Love it. Also, like the SA Mastery Series. but the shark skin, ah not sure if i'd spend that kind of money, its only a floating line (i think), i stay away from floating lines unless I'm fishing flats or fresh water...

·
Registered
318 Posts
What are you looking for? Floater, Int, sinker? I really like the Rio Outbound or Clouser for the intermediate stuff especially in cold water, and my sinkers are mixtures of some Teeny's and some custom T-14 shooting heads. I don't throw a floater much this time of year and have some Rio's, SA's, and Wulf. All cast well. Don't know if I would spend the money on the sharkskin when I could buy two of the others. During striper season, my 10's are set up with an intermediate, then a 350 grain, then a T-14 shooting head sinker. This covers most of the water column where I fish. I do keep a couple 8's ready to roll if fish are smaller or the blues show up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
AirFlo Striper Coldwater
Flylines.com - Striper Lines
With the power core, it has very little stretch. Not only does this make it fire out the guides and have less memory, but hook sets are awesome.
Edit, Oh yeah, and those shark skin lines pretty much suck in my opinion. vrrrr vrrrrr vrrrrr vrrrrr, who wants to hear that **** all day?
L8, Harry

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like the SA Sharkskin

I have fished the SA Sharkskin for redfish, bonefish, tarpon and to lesser degree schoolie stripers and I have found it to be a great fly line. I have not had any of the abrasions or cuts others have experienced.

It shoots throught the guides very easy, it has held up to every weekend fishing as my guide friend Bob Quarles of Blue Heron Guide Service in Pensacola FL won't give it back. Initially the sound takes a little to getting use to but in the heat of the battle I never notice it.

SA has 2 new Sharkskin lines coming, the Steelhead and the Magnum that should be great for fishing colder water conditions and use with larger flies. The Magnum is front loaded and will handle most adverse conditions. The Steelhead has a longer head for distance control and casting. I hope to get a Steelhead to try out soon. I'll keep you posted.

Richard Montgomery
Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brandon, I fished a sharkskin line on my 8 wt. while fishing for Northern Pike in Canada's Northwest Territory the first week of September. I really liked the line. I found it easy to cast 7 inch bunny strip clouser. Also, the line does not coil up like other floating lines. The only drawback I experienced was that I wore a groove into the knuckle of my ring finger after fishing for five days. I used a stripping sleeve on the index and middle fingers so they were fine. Next time, I'll tape up the knuckle. The outfitter at the lodge was equally impressed and ordered the same line. I haven't used this line in saltwater. I use full sinking lines. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts