Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Annapolis MSSA meeting last night to hear Capt.Randy Dean speak about planer boards.He told us how planers flip over or dive in rough water.Alot of TFer's have bought the boards I sell and has anyone ever flipped them ? We have used my boards (I use what I sell) in 3-4' whitecaps and never had any trouble.Some trips waves have been up on the bowrail but my boards kept on catching.I put alot of R/D into making these boards and everyone tells me they pull well.I hope no one has had trouble but would like to know if they did. Thanks, Skip

·
Registered
458 Posts
Skip,
Not during normal Operation
I have had one flip making a unusual tight & fast turn to avoid a suddenly uneccessary turn by a B-Boater underpower . Must admit it created a real PITA mess

Jack

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey Skip-

Are they triple boards ? I think the third board makes a huge difference. I have flipped my double boards in some real slop twice. Once during the MSSA a couple years back when that boat went down and the other off an 8' wave from a tanker. Both times the palner went lookin' for Davie Jones locker ! Lost a nice $220 setup that 'bounced' out of the boat when the planer line tracked down the side of the boat as the planer headed deep. If the weather has it jumpoing out of the water a good bit, it's too rough for us to run planers. We've learned our lesson !

I've even played chicken with a comm. guy who steered into our planers. They hit head on and we lost.....snapped the 'heavy mono' ( weed whacker line ).

SG- How's the engine coming ? Will you be ready for OD ?

Patrick
Pat N Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts