Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless someone has something really bad to say about it, I am going to purchase a Raymarine A60 tomorrow.

It looks like a good unit, with a digital HD fishfinder at an exceptional price. Perfect for my small CC.

Anyone have one? What do you think of it?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Unless someone has something really bad to say about it, I am going to purchase a Raymarine A60 tomorrow.

It looks like a good unit, with a digital HD fishfinder at an exceptional price. Perfect for my small CC.

Anyone have one? What do you think of it?
Francis, The A60 is a great unit. I had the A65 which is the same unit just bigger screen..... If I were in the market for a new gps/ff I would wait and check out the new lowrance stuff. All units will have built in broadband sonar.. Just my .2

Shawn F

Shawn F

·
Registered
885 Posts
Francis,

Is that the last one Keith has? I looked at it a couple of days ago and got nervous. I hvae heard good...and not so good about them. let me know how it goes!

Ernie

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
My father has a c80 package on his Judge. he likes it but has had some problems with it restarting (like when he starts the motor to go for another drift). Ray's need good clean steady power. Check with Jim at BOE Marine about it. I think there is something you can add to your system to maintain steady power and prevent this from happening. It may be a c-series thing too. Worth inquiring about though.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have an A65 which only differs in having a better screen resolution I believe. I would not buy it again. The plotter is, in my opinion, slow to redraw, the cookie trail feature is poor, it is so small it is hard to see on the screen...The FF is actually pretty good but I would be (and am) looking elsewhere for a 2nd unit for next season. Im leaning toward either a Garmin or a Standard Horizon.

I have seen the current cheap prices on these and for what they are now going for its hard to call it a bad deal. Note also depending on which antenna is in the box, it will not be WAAS capable. This actually is what really hacks me off about Ray. They knew, or should have known full well this would be a problem, yet they continued to sell them with these antennas.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should mention. I have a Garmin 2010. This would be used as a backup unit. I am most interested in the fishfinder feature.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
The rays have a nice fishfinder from my experience. They lack in chartplotter features though IMHO. I run a Garmin 3010 and the new digital GSD22 sounder box. While the Ray is better than the previous GSD21 and 20, I think the new GSD22 sounder box is every bit as good as the ray. If you just want to run one unit, I would go this route.. You can get the sounder box for around $400

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just got the A65 last year. Its affordable and if you just fish in the bay its jut fine. But like most things you get what you pay for. Raymarine won't back the A series with warranty. Thats on the Transducer at least. My transducer broke off on my second trip with it and they would only cover their part which was a $2 pin that fell out, I had to pay the fee to have them re install the whole transducer and cables. The chartplotter on it freezes up sometimes and you have to restart it. Next time I'm going with Furuno.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I amazes me that all the companies are getting away from standalone FF units, except for the high end Furuno units. I have a high end Garmin that does both (it has a gd 21) but I have a Furuno 6100 that I use for finding the fish. I need a decent sized screen to look at & when you start looking at the nicer screens from the big three they all come with built in GPS & FF on the side. Si-Tex makes some nice ones for a decent price but I think the best stand alone fishfinder for the money is probably the Furuno 585 for $1300 or the 620, which runs around $700.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts