Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
For years I have been trying to figure out a second boat that I actually like. I want to be able to:

- Run a trot line or traps for crabbing
- Go bass and perch fishing on tidal creeks and rivers (Like Nanjemoy or Mattowoman)
- Run an economical motor 50hp or less on it
- Tow it with a small sport ute or pickup (Like a Tacoma or Explorer)
- Occasionally, put trolling motors on the transom and fish electric-only reservoirs

I started out with a 14' jon boat. Perfect for the reservoirs but I quickly found myself out in water to big. All too often coming back to the dock I looked like this.

I then bought a 15' C-Hawk skiff. This boat was way more seaworthy then the jon boat, but still wasn't perfect. It was a little small for crabbing and with only a tiller motor, a little uncomfortable for long rides.

I am now in love with two hulls particularly although am open to any ideas.

The first on is an older 15' Boston Whaler.

Although I would do a pretty good overhaul on the original lay out of the deck, I love the hull design. It would look great sitting next to my 21' Whaler.

The other boat I am crazy about it a 15' Hobie Power Skiff. Again I would do a pretty major overhaul on the deck lay out, but, I think the hull is pretty sweet!

Have any of you ever run either the Power Skiff or the 15' Whaler? What do you think? Do either of you have second boats which you really really like?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I bought an 18' maycraft skiff w/90 hp Yamaha this year for my second boat. Absolutely love it. I mostly use in single handed and it really handles well even in rough water.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
You could tow those skiffs with a VW or civic. But why fiber glass? Get alluminum for the little boat or maybe plastic like the triumph. They have a 15' and a 17' sportsman. Very nice boats IMO.

My second boat is a 14' sea nymph alluminum. It's great for just me but does feel a little unstable because it has a V. It's as light as a feather, making getting in it from a dock kind of tricky. Not the perfect boat at all but I make do. It will go 15mph with just me in it on dead calm conditions with a 9.9 4 stroke. add another person and it won't get on plain. Max HP rating is 25.

A friend of mine fishes a 17 foot tunnel hull G3 with the extra high transome, center console. It could easily take a jet engine but he's got a 40hp prop yamaha, i think it maxes at 60hp. The thing flies with me and him on it. We've fished all over the flats and Potomac with the thing and it makes an amaizingly stable fishing platform. Good river boat too with the tunnel hull and shallow draft.

Wouldn't you want the flexibility of taking your little boat to a rocky river without doing the fiber glass too much harm?

BTW.. I need to get some fishing in. Let me know when it's time to look for some gannets.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jon,
Alum would be a good idea and I would like the ease of it but,

Normally alum boats are not self bailing. I like scuppers. . .

I would like to be able to paint the bottom and keep it in the water, especially if I find good crabbing some time.

Still though, bilge pumps are cheap and I imagine I can bottom paint alum boat somehow to keep in the water. Good idea.

Lets go fishing soon. How does Wednesday afternoon a week from today sound?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Check out Sea-Ark

I bought this boat 2 years ago and will never sell it
We fish the rivers, the bay on average days, crab from it
Live wells, trolling motor, front and rear deck for bassin and ltj rock
20ft trailer and launch anywhere
This one is decked out with too many options but it can be done much cheaper
Good luck in your search - check out War-Eagle and Lund for other Alum boat options
18-20 ft Carolina Skiff is a nice rig also - fiberglass
:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Francis, I will have to 2nd the Carolina Skiff boats. I have own 2 of them and they are great boats to crab out of and lots of room to fish. For the price I don’t think you can beat them…Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
There is NO COMPARISON between a Carolina S**T and a Hobie Power Skiff. The Hobie Power Skiff is suitable for the ocean, the boat will jump over waves and keep on gettin' it. Amazing hull. I know, I owned one. I have been in plenty Carolina S**ts and they are good for when the wind blows 0-5 mph, useless thereafter. Almost bought one, so glad I didn't.

Francis, somebody in NJ has the mold for the power skiff and is still making them. Mine was a screamer with a 40 HP Yammie, it was rated for a 60. I see them from time to time on craigslist.

I will keep my eyes and ears open.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
With alluminum they are so light that you just drag it up on shore where ever you have a dock and leave it there. I think a 16 or 17' lowe sea nymph would be an ideal boat with a 25hp 4 stroke and trolling motors on front and rear.

I have your number for next Wednesday. Thanks for the offer, I'll try and clear my schedule now and I'll get back to you. I don't care how we fish btw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You couldn't go wrong with the Whaler. I've had an old 13 ft whaler for years as a second boat and have used it more than the big boat. It is stable, will carry a big load for it's size, good speed and economy with a 25 hp motor, and easy to tow. I've been all over the rivers and bay, out of Oregon Inlet and ended up out when I shouldn't have been there. Always felt safe. A 15 footer would be all that much better.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a Lowe 18 foot aluminum that is set up like a bass boat. Easy to trailer, easy on fuel, large enough and stable enough to handle a little chop. Plenty of room to store stuff. Great for two people, a little crowded with three but not terrible. I have a 20 hp on it to fish a local lake. I get 20mph with one person and 17-18mph with two. It is rated for 45 hp. Goes all day on three gallons of gas.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Interesting alternative

Francis,

I have a 22 foot Sea Hunt and a 16' center console Starcraft (1990) that I'm rebuilding. Plan to use it for the spring Striper runs around Chain Bridge and Fletcher's. Mine has a 75 hp on it but would work better with 40-50 hp.

Great freeboard and lots of space.

There is a 18' version without engine on Craig's List today - Nice 18' Aluminum Center Console Ready for Your Motor! Free Trailer at a pretty reasonable price.

Aches n Pains (Doug)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Francis,
Morsax fishes an 18ft aluminum starcraft. I've done everything from troll for rock to crab with it. He runs a 50 or 60 hp e-tec. It is a pretty good all around boat - but again, we can't get out on rough days - which I guess is the point. As a note, there is one with a junky trailer and no motor on sale on craigslist from the eastern shore for about 1k. My2cents, bob

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
When using tillers, try getting an extention handle. I can actually stand on the middle bench seat while using the handle. This not only helps me see what's going on but also gets the boat on plain quicker. It's actually pretty fun. It would be great for crabing too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My second boat is a 16 Boston Whaler Dauntless, it's a great little boat. With a 7' 1" beam, 9" draft, nice entry to the water, and a 90 hp merc. It's a little boat that will run a trotline, fish the short water, easy to pull, and bring you home in any weather. I've had it out in the best the bay had to throw at us with no problems. In my eye's, it's a hard boat to beat.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
There is NO COMPARISON between a Carolina S**T and a Hobie Power Skiff. Theis suitable for the ocean, the boat will jump over waves and keep on gettin' it. Amazing hull. I know, I owned one. I have been in plenty Carolina S**ts and they are good for when the wind blows 0-5 mph, useless thereafter. Almost bought one, so glad I didn't.

Francis, somebody in NJ has the mold for the power skiff and is still making them. Mine was a screamer with a 40 HP Yammie, it was rated for a 60. I see them from time to time on craigslist.

I will keep my eyes and ears open.
You do not have to cut down Carolina Skiff and I don't think I would call your Hobie Power Skiff a piece of sh##. I have had my Skiff in some pretty nasty weather and have the people to back it. Will you get wet yes and does it have a hard ride yes but it will stand up to any kind of waves or weather I put it in. So I would appreciate it if you would not call them a piece of sh##. By the way I have had my boat in the ocean and it did very well.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Using it in electric only reservoirs won't be an option to you if you plan to use anywhere but the reservoirs. At least the ones around Baltimore. You have to get a sticker for the reservoir system and you can only use a boat tagged for reservoirs in reservoirs. This is to keep invasive species i.e zebra mussels out.

Andy

·
Registered
387 Posts
Fancis
If you can find one of these buy it. It's a 16 foot Steiger Craft with a side console. The side consoles are nice for crabbing and they give you more usable floor space on a small boat. Solid hull, very stable, but hard to find. I found this one on ebay up on Long Island. Great boat.
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Francis - I have 2 boats, # 1 is a 29' C-Hawk Cabin, 300 HP Cummins Diesel inboard.
Boat # 2 is a 1967, 17 foot whaler with a mahogany console, 90 HP Johnson outboard. I basically use both of them for fishing and crabbing but like the whaler for getting into small creeks plus the speed.

Capt. Mike

·
Registered
236 Posts
Francis,

There is no perfect second boat, or third boat...just start collecting them as suited for each task.. Currently, I have a bunch, all bought gently used at great prices ( and all work)

26 Privateer with cabin & twin 140's this boat handles anything
18 privateer CC with 90 hp...my high school graduation present from Dad..trotlines, fishes, sea duck hunting, water skiing..very versaile
18 Wellcraft CC 140..."fancy" fishing boat to take out the kids fishing in comfort
13' Carolina Skiff w/ 35 ...duck hunting, marsh hopping, softcrabbing..litttle stuff
14' Fisher Jon Boat w/ 7.5 ( I don't know that I need it, but I have it)
assorted Kayaks, sunfish, lasers, etc...

All are needed, loved and utilized...secret is never have them all in one place at the same time so the wife doesn't realize how many you actually have.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts