Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this picture that someone had posted on FB last night. They said it was caught in a pound net in Fishing Bay and that it weighed 292 lbs. The poster also said he had also heard of a 10 footer that was released in the same area. I don't know the original poster (it was a re-share on someone I know's wall). Just wondering if anyone can verify or if there was any additional info?
17764_669458096417470_1557545740_n.jpg

·
Registered
826 Posts
Dead dolphin washed ashore on Taylors island a couple weeks ago and DNR confirmed that a shark was feeding on it. Also have an unconfirmed report of another dead dolphin floating in the bay with a few chunks taken out of it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Bull Sharks spawn in brackish/fresh water. Bull Sharks are very common in the lower Potomac river, and have been sighted finn'ing an awful lot this year in the shallow around the redfish schools.

It shouldn't be a surprise that there is bull sharks in the bay, it should actually be the opposite... It should shock you the bay's health is so crappy there isn't very many sharks in the bay.

·
Premium Member
26,173 Posts
There are no sharks in the bay , there are no sharks in the bay.

FWIW: Anchor recovery prices are now 60% higher.

Actually - good to see some Bull sharks are around. They will eat Cownose Rays - hopefully a lot.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
they are not a "problem" they are an important part of the ecosystem and have been swimming in the Chesapeake bay for millions of years
Aw, c'mon now- anything that interferes with ME(My Enjoyment) is a problem- better get on the trolley of modern mankind- we are given dominion over all the land and sea and creatures that dwell on and within ...
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Every year sharks are seen and caught well up the Bay, and every year the press and certain anglers act as if it's a sign of the apocolypse. I suspect we have a lot more sharks in the Bay -- at least as far up as Hacketts Bar -- than most of us appreciate, and I also suspect that they swim a lot farther up tributaries than we realize (especially the bulls). I'm glad they're here....makes the Bay more interesting, and they're probably important to maintaining a healthy balance.

P.S.: I'm also glad to hear that at least some of the commercial folks are releasing them.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Bringing in half a rockfish used to be a common occurrence at the bay bridge years ago. There was a rather large shark caught at Hacketts during the late '70's by a guy in a bass boat.

The bull shark is often referred to as the Lake Nicaragua shark. It swims thru underground tunnels to the lake which is a fresh water lake.

There are many reports of bull shark attacks on people. It was a suspected bull shark that attacked a young boy in Va, Beach a couple of years ago. I think the boy died from blood loss. They also had a field day at New Smryna Beach, Fla. during a surfing tournament a couple of years ago. Several surfers were bitten.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
it was a 120 incha ...

With all the people swimming around Hollis island aka Sharkstooth island are bait...... There are sharks most likely all over there... If the Bulls ever did attack that would it.... besides that you can find a mason jar full of historic teeth everyday if look hard enough.. They have been around for ever...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts