Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the water temp down in South Rvr area? Want to leave the boat in the water another week or two but with this cold stretch starting to wonder if is good idea. Two weeks ago water was still 50+ degrees so figured the heat from the water would keep the boat above freezing and no worry about the water lines or engines.

Has it been cold enough down there to freeze at night? Boat is inboard with FWC engines not too worried about motors yet but the water lines may be a different story.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
If you can- I would drain any lines with fresh water and run anti freeze in them.The predicted lows in the South river area are near 24* at night this week.The river will not freeze yet but lines in the boat could.Be sure to drain your manifolds - they have raw water in them.Look for a 1 inch rubber cap.You might need a small screwdriver to twist around if alot of scale/rust is there.I forgot this one year and had to replace them-OUCH :eek2:.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
24? is that a wind chill temp? Manifolds are FWC so should be OK there.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
No - predicted 24* is for suburbs at night.Around 37-45* during the day.The area right close to the bay might stay a touch warmer but the predicted 20 knot winds most likely will push any heat from the water away.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It typically takes 3 days of sub freezing temps to crack a block. You will lose your manifolds quicker. Even if you have a fresh water cooled motor you still have water cooling the heat exchanger. This will freeze and crack. You should winterize your water system asap as a temp of 24 two nights in row with cold day time highs are likely to do some damage. Your engine should be fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Some use engine heaters or light bulbs to extend the fishing season. You have to be really careful with light bulbs they will catch your boat on fire
Bob

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I was over on the Rhode River today. Most of the people who have not winterized their boats were running antifreeze through them. I flushed every pipe I could get to to make sure they did not have enough water to freeze and break. It got cold there last evening (33) and it will get colder. Remember that water temp will have some influence on air temp, but not enough to keep things from freezing if the air temp drops significantly below freezing.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went down today to check on boat. All was fine only thing frozen was hose on dock. Checked some temps with infrared gun out of curiosity and cabin was 44, engine room 41 and the water coming out of faucet on boat was 41 so all was well. Have agood baseline now for the future. drained the water tank and dumped some antifreeze in head and all should be good.

I am apparently a complete wuss though....guy next to me in a 27' walkaround with no curtains was just leaving to run from South River to Solomns in 15+kt winds so could fish down there tomorrow!

Hope to be out tomorrow looking foer fish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts